Custom shell.lvl crashes.

Started by Rayce, March 08, 2015, 07:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 08, 2015, 07:26:44 PM Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:21:01 PM by Commander Awesome
Using Phobos' builder, I tried to modify missionlist.lua as a personal mod for my own convenience, and as a prototype for a real mod I'm making (more on that later). However, this custom (global) shell.lvl crashes the game before the logos even appear. Missionlist was the only file I changed, and I made sure all the models and textures from "Data\shell\msh" were copied over to "Custom\shell\msh".

missionlist.lua: http://pastebin.com/QkJF4gKd

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Shell not Common  :slap:

I would try cleaning the builder first.  Clean will reset it back to default (assuming you haven't edited the "Data\common\" files).  Better yet would be to pull the shell builder before it was edited out of the compressed folder that was downloaded.
Then, I would just try munging a shell with no edits.  Then, if that is successful, copy and paste the original missionlist.lua into the lua folder. Edit that one and munge and see what happens.  I will look closer at the lua if it still doesn't work.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Tried it without my missionlist. It seems to work fine, except that it skips the opening logos. (Which isn't a serious problem, it's just weird.)

Any idea what could be wrong with the missionlist?

Line 22 ReadDataFile("dc:...\\...\\...\\MPM\\data\\_lvl_pc\\mission.lvl")

I don't know if ReadDataFile command is supported in the missionlist, I think that might be causing the crash. Missionlist is what defines the stock missions, addme.script files define mod maps. I see you added the custom mission references to sp_missionselect_listbox_contents. Now what you want to do is take all the custom mission LUA, add them to your global mission LVL, you will have edit the main REQ and build subreqs for it.

I thought that might be the problem. I'm just not a big fan of replacing the stock .lvls if I don't have to.

Quote from: Commander Awesome on March 10, 2015, 08:48:13 AM
I thought that might be the problem. I'm just not a big fan of replacing the stock .lvls if I don't have to.
Yeah me too, but if you're adding anything new to the missionlist, it seems it must go in the global mission.lvl
You can still keep all stock LUA the same and basically "upgrade" your mission by adding custom LUA to it. I think the mission.lvl I'm currently using is around 600KB. For mods like this you will be replacing the stock shell and mission, you can probably get away with not having to mod any other stock LVLs. Custom maps and sides can be called on as if they were stock this way and placed anywhere in the _LVL_PC folder. I've added you to my PM whitelist in case you have any questions.

March 11, 2015, 01:29:40 PM #6 Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:59:22 PM by Commander Awesome
I did as you suggested. The maps show up, but crash with no Message Severity 3 errors in the log. (Just stuff about missing movies and localization.)

The custom scripts are just the ones from the Main Play Mod 6 source, only modified to read the custom sides from a different folder, and the modified maps under different names. So I can freely choose between MPM and the stock missions. (I'm not releasing this, it is just for my own personal use.) I made sure the sides are in the folder that the scripts call for.

EDIT: It turns out there was just a typo in modded Geonosis.  :slap: It works now.