SWBF2 Multiplayer Returns on Steam!

Started by Norwood, October 02, 2017, 10:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Bummer.
After all the only thought of having the Big Minds thinking about releasing the source code is already an immense improvement when you come to think about it.
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Quote from: i|\|(06|\|i70 on October 14, 2017, 09:05:22 AM
Bummer.
After all the only thought of having the Big Minds thinking about releasing the source code is already an immense improvement when you come to think about it.
It will not be released. Think about what it would also mean to them.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

The good news is that joining servers now works well, the bad news is that every one is appallingly laggy, as in every player transporting all over the place...
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: Anyder on October 14, 2017, 11:03:56 AM
A man can dream.
Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on October 14, 2017, 11:30:23 AM
The good news is that joining servers now works well, the bad news is that every one is appallingly laggy, as in every player transporting all over the place...
Welcome to Pingworld, my kingdom.
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Quote from: Anyder on October 14, 2017, 11:03:56 AM

I have to admit that I am more skeptic than hopeful for the source code too.

We know that GOG modified the shipped files to improve the anti-cheat capabilities. Releasing the source code might end up being a risk as hackers/cheaters might take advantage of it.

Quote from: Chadaface on October 15, 2017, 11:39:35 AM

We know that GOG modified the shipped files to improve the anti-cheat capabilities. Releasing the source code might end up being a risk as hackers/cheaters might take advantage of it.

An interesting way around that would be to make the source code single-player only -or to release the source code to BF2_ModTools. All that would need to be operational would be the single player, campaign, and Galactic Conquest, and debug options, and you could code in the fullscreen, removal of the green bar and the ability to move between screens. In fact, that version might be preferable as stock SWBF2 still has that bug in which maps that have been removed from addon still show up on the list, while BF2_ModTools does not.

You could then see about coding in multiplayer support from scratch and pointing it to an unofficial server (IE SWBFSpy).

That's the version I would ask for, anyway.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Quote from: Chadaface on October 15, 2017, 11:39:35 AM

It's not being skeptic or hopeful. I got the email from the devs. and they never said anything about giving us the source code.
Also, there is no control for cheating. People can still use the advantages they want as long as they apply those changes to the lvl files. I wouldnt be able to tell for the aimbot, though.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Anyder on October 15, 2017, 01:39:52 PM
It's not being skeptic or hopeful. I got the email from the devs. and they never said anything about giving us the source code.
Also, there is no control for cheating. People can still use the advantages they want as long as they apply those changes to the lvl files. I wouldnt be able to tell for the aimbot, though.

Sorry, did I miss something about more dev communication? Is there a post somewhere with the contents of this email? It would be great if we had a sticky post that only the mods could post into where you post the newest communications from the dev team at GOG about swbf2.

There were just a couple of us copied on the email, but it basically just said they are trying to fix the issues and get the stuff they need (i.e. GoG needs) to make dedicated server software and that they may try to contact us to gather enough people for a test.

I know everyone is starved for information and everyone would like a lot of things, but that's all it said and there has been no follow up yet by GoG.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Cheers for that, it's good to know  ::) I guess what they need is source files and permission? I don't suppose they mentioned a timeline, did they? :P

Sorry for the bump, I'm guessing there has not been any more word from the gog devs?

From the SWBF2 Community Discord:

QuoteAsLan - Yesterday at 3:09 PM
@everyone Update from GOG, this time via contact over discord:

"Hey AsLan,

I understand your concern, it has been a while since the last update. This is partially because I was OOO due to personal reasons.

I assure you that we are still on it. Due to the nature of the situation, we need to be absolutely sure that we didn't miss anything and fix the game on our first try, this is the main reason why it takes so long. I really wish I could go into details but I can't without a risk to harm the process.

The dedicated server support in the SDK is progressing on its own, unrelated path and the ETA is the 2nd week of November. After it is done we will use it to create the dedicated server of BF2 using the source code we have."
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

You're an absolute star lad, cheers.

So it sounds like end of November-ish

I don't suppose there's been an update?  :(

Quote from: Caedus on November 20, 2017, 11:41:52 AM
I don't suppose there's been an update?  :(

Not yet, I'm in the Discord group and we haven't been given any updates yet. We're still waiting.
The years just fly past, don't they?