Rendertype 28

Started by Giftheck, December 06, 2017, 05:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Very simple one: I've been constructing weapons for a while now. I noticed othe materials for imported weapons carry Rendertype 28. What does Rendertype 28 do?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

As far i know (since i used it alot for converting models) its like normal map render type and if you use specular is even better (i think it way not work with specular light checked).However someone said that render type 27+spec checked is for bump maps but its doing better job than render 28 so i switched now using always render type 27.Basically they are almost the same but someone said that 27 is better than 28  :shrug:

Quote from: Ginev on December 06, 2017, 08:12:24 AM
As far i know (since i used it alot for converting models) its like normal map render type and if you use specular is even better (i think it way not work with specular light checked).However someone said that render type 27+spec checked is for bump maps but its doing better job than render 28 so i switched now using always render type 27.Basically they are almost the same but someone said that 27 is better than 28  :shrug:

So it's to do with normal/specular mapping? Interesting... is it possible to have that and a double-sided texture with transparency properties?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

December 06, 2017, 12:42:43 PM #3 Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:46:41 AM by Cdt Fox
Rendertype 27 is the default one for Normal maps to render. 28 is used if the normal map also has a specular map inside it's Alpha channel (easy to do with gimp). Usually, when only a Specular map is used (no bump or normal; btw normal and bump use 27 (28) as the same rendertype, just depends on your texture) THEN the rendertype was only 4. So 28 is just a mix between 27 and 4. You only need to put the specular into the normal map's alpha channel to have the different layers (dark and bright) of specular seen in game. If you only use normal/bump maps then just stick to 27.

To Normal map a texture you have an addon to download for gimp 2.8. Works like a charm.

I think 28 is quite nice on weapons meshes, however it's not recommended for player models. I'm using 27 for them.

Here are some shots of my old weapons port from Dice's first battlefront with render type 28:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

My DLT-19 model (swbf 3 dc-15x scope-less)

[spoiler][/spoiler]
"When will you fools learn? No one escapes Commander Fox"
—Fox, after apprehending another criminal

https://media.giphy.com/media/2GjgvS5vA6y08/giphy.gif

Ah, I understand :)

I've never made a normal/bump map before (I'm using Photoshop and I now have the NVIDIA tools installed) but it seems like something I should learn to do at some point.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Golly Fox, that looks spectacular! I'm going to try that out on some of my map's models..

If you want, I might write a little tutorial next week about Normal mapping in swbfs. I'll explain why, in my opinion, it's a lot better than bump map or specular map.

Also make sure that you have your in-game lightning setting on "High". Otherwise you won't see the normal mapping while playing.  Your map requires a directional light too.
"When will you fools learn? No one escapes Commander Fox"
—Fox, after apprehending another criminal

https://media.giphy.com/media/2GjgvS5vA6y08/giphy.gif