Units are sliding instead of walking

Started by Napseeker, January 04, 2019, 01:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've recently had some free time to resume modding SWBF1 and encountered a familiar problem:  in some cases the units (and myself) will start to slide around on the floor instead of doing the usual animated walk/run. 

This is a problem that I vaguely recall being reported in the past with other mods, but I've not had this issue until trying to create this particular mod. Does anyone remember what is needed to fix the issue?  In my LUA, I thought that increasing the soldier memory might help but it doesn't seem to change much:

SetMemoryPoolSize ("EntitySoldier",300)

Would appreciate any suggestions!  thanks  :tu:

I've seen it happen when the unit speed is too high as compared to stock. 

At one time I wanted to try a possible fix...if you are interested I can see if I can remember what I wanted to try.   :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Napseeker on January 04, 2019, 01:16:43 PM
I've recently had some free time to resume modding SWBF1 and encountered a familiar problem:  in some cases the units (and myself) will start to slide around on the floor instead of doing the usual animated walk/run. 

This is a problem that I vaguely recall being reported in the past with other mods, but I've not had this issue until trying to create this particular mod. Does anyone remember what is needed to fix the issue?  In my LUA, I thought that increasing the soldier memory might help but it doesn't seem to change much:

SetMemoryPoolSize ("EntitySoldier",300)

Would appreciate any suggestions!  thanks  :tu:

First off, welcome back!

Are you using Sleepkiller's Model Edit tool during munge? That's the only time I can think of where it produces this issue as I've never encountered it myself. The only other thing thing I can think of is too many units at once. How many units are called in your LUA?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

@Led:  that's an excellent point, I also remember (back when I was modding those Jedi units) that making the soldiers run too fast would cause them to slide in the game. However in this case, I know I'm using only the typical speed and acceleration settings for my custom units, and the sliding still happens even for the standard/shipped X-Wing pilot whenever I'm playing as him.

@Giftheck:  I'm still just using the same modding setup from 10+ years ago, so definitely not using Sleepkiller's Model Edit tool.  I don't have the LUA in front of me, but I'm fairly certain that I'm only calling up the usual 25 units per team.  There are also 2 local teams that probably average out to about 25 each (so that's a total of 100 units on the map).  I've had more than this in my previous mods e.g. Geonosis Arena, without any sliding issues.  It could be that this time I've got a ton of starfighters added to the map as well.  This feels like something I should be able to solve if I allocate more memory resources in the right place, but am at a loss as to what they would be other than the EntitySoldier that I already tried.

Hmm... I'm at a loss myself, then. It might be worth asking Sereja - he does really complex, detailed maps with custom sides, so he might have encountered this issue at some point himself.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

That is weird that it only 'sometimes' happens as you mentioned in the OP.

If it was a typo somewhere in the .odfs... or as Led suggested, the unit speed being set too high, it would just be happening all the time.
But as you've said it's happening conditionally, it sounds more memory based.

As gg above said, wait on Sereja... or have a mundane time stripping things away until it stops doing it.

p.s. welcome back!

This issue happened to me long ago, I think because I boosted the speed from a ODF trooper too much. But I still don't understand why slide when it's tweaked by that way. Hopefully we could find an answer... ::)
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

Is there a memory pool for soldier animations in SWBF that can be altered through the LUA?
In Progress:

On Hold:

That's what I had thought "EntitySoldier" would've included, is expanding the memory for their animations... but perhaps not. I should try some much higher number like 500 just to see if it improves things any more.