Star Wars vs. [Insert Spacefaring Civilization Here]

Started by Ltin, January 15, 2017, 02:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
There are all sorts of spacefaring civilizations in fiction, from civilizations based around a time in our future, such as Star Trek or Halo, to civilizations that have nothing to do with humanity as we know it, like yes, star wars.

Almost always when we go into space it becomes about war. An alien civilization invades, or a galaxy spanning empire splits apart. Various types of peoples eventually come into conflict.These all come with big differences in both technology and tactics. Who would win in a flat out war?

I'll keep a tally of what people think here. You can talk about entire fictional universes teaming up to fight, but i'm only going to tally specific factions fighting each other. I know it says Star Wars in the title, but this can be any civilizations fighting.
[spoiler=Tally][/spoiler]

Lets keep it civil as well. I have been on the internet before, and i dont want this thread to devolve into a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Remember everyone is entitled to their own opinions. :)

The only two series i know enough about to make a fairly logical conjecture is Halo and Star Wars, so i'll do that.
I feel like in space the covenant and Empire would probably be fairly closely matched, except in terms of numbers.

I think the UNSC would be able to hold their own however, at least for a little bit, and my main reason for this might seem contradictory: inferior technology.

The UNSC is incredibly stuck on using kinetic weapons. From the massive Magnetic Accelerator Cannons to wimpy pistols, almost all they use for ammo is a chunk of metal.

Imperial Technology is of course, lasers (or plasma or whatever blaster bolts are made out of). Those hurt. They also fight other enemies, who also use the same lasers. The armor of storm troopers represents that. Their armor is made of plastic, and a heat disbursing inner whatch-ya-ma-call-it, that means a blaster bolt is liable to simply knock a trooper unconscious rather than just kill them. It can take shrapnel and maybe small arms fire, but armor strong enough to take a shot from a proper gun such as the standard issue UNSC rifle would be heavy, expensive, or both. Because UNSC rifles have a much faster firing rate, i give advantage to the UNSC, and thats without considering special forces like ODSTs or Spartan IIs. Even Darth Vader can't be much of a help, as his lightsaber cannot deflect a bullet.

Space battles might be a bit different. It all comes down to weather Imperial ships are designed to take heavy hits from projectiles. I can't recall an incident in the imperial era (or any era for that matter) where kinetic weapons were used in space (do proton torpedoes count?). This means the Empire wouldn't have any reason to expect having to take shots from a physical weapon. So a logical focus would be to place emphasis on dealing with energy weapons, and only make the armor thick enough to withstand the typical impacts from space debris, or maybe an asteroid. I would guess a single well places MAC rounds would be all that is needed to destroy an imperial ship, as it only needs to breech the outer hull and then it can shred its way to the reactor. In a small skirmish i predict the Empire would again get their hats handed to them.

Problem being, the Empire has an entire galaxy's worth of resources at their disposal, while the UNSC is confined to a small space in the Orion Arm. And depending on when we put this, the UNSC either isn't on an incredibly war fighting footing, or they have been severely weakened by an all out war with the genocidal Covenant Even the Infinity cannot hope to replace the incredible number of lost ships.

My verdict? Ground battles would fall to the UNSC without a doubt, and in a small skirmish in space the UNSC would again win by landslide, but in terms of all out war, the imperial navy would overwelm the UNSC fleet, and can then just bomb planets from orbit.

Or just use the death star.

StarFleet and the Rebellion VS The Galactic Empire.
The years just fly past, don't they?

The problem with Star Wars vessels is how OP they are in terms of speed.
It has been repeatedly established that it takes very little time for a ship to pop into Hyperspace and reappear seemingly at the other side of the GALAXY.

When you're enemy can seemingly disappears during and engagement, and reappears moments later bombarding your home world, there's not much you can do when you're own vessels can't compete in terms of speed.

Quote from: Nyx on January 15, 2017, 02:49:18 PM
StarFleet and the Rebellion VS The Galactic Empire.
Starfleet as in the Federation Starfleet from Star Trek?
If so, what era?

Quote from: Unit 33 on January 17, 2017, 12:24:38 AM
The problem with Star Wars vessels is how OP they are in terms of speed.
It has been repeatedly established that it takes very little time for a ship to pop into Hyperspace and reappear seemingly at the other side of the GALAXY.

When you're enemy can seemingly disappears during and engagement, and reappears moments later bombarding your home world, there's not much you can do when you're own vessels can't compete in terms of speed.
I think there are other less well known universes where ship can travel MUCH faster than even star wars (dont ask me to name any of them i cant).

But is suddenly appears at one's homeworld really an issue? They cant just pop in out of nowhere. Otherwise the Republic would certainly have showed up at Raxus, and the CIS would have poped into the coruscant much earlier than they did. I mean it is still an advantage, but an invading force would have to deal with the fact that the space they are invading is uncharted for them, while the enemy knows all the routes that can easily be taken.

Quote from: Commander Awesome on January 17, 2017, 10:18:37 AM
Starfleet as in the Federation Starfleet from Star Trek?
If so, what era?
Generations.

January 17, 2017, 02:08:41 PM #6 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:12:33 PM by Commander Awesome
Well I think in a ground battle the Federation would get pwned, unless the rebels can back them up with some extra armor, as it doesn't seem like the Feds have much by way of ground vehicles, just infantry and air vehicles.  In space it's harder to say. I think the Federation has the superior weaponry and shielding, but the Empire has far superior speed and way more resources, and well,
[spoiler]I think Rogue One shows pretty well how the Rebel fleet fares against the Empire's[/spoiler]
I think it depends on who's invading who. If it's the Federation attacking I think they could win with the support of the Alliance. If it's the Empire invading, I think the Federation/Rebels would be screwed unless they can team up with the Klingons, Romulans, Dominion, etc. so they have a force nearly matching the Imps in size.   

Of course, there's also this to consider :P

Lol, so true.

But, I was thinking that maybe the Alliance could get the better shields from the Federation so that they'd stand a better chance.

Also, I don't understand this, but why are Star Trek shields more advanced than Star Wars shields?

Quote from: Nyx on January 17, 2017, 02:13:49 PM
But, I was thinking that maybe the Alliance could get the better shields from the Federation so that they'd stand a better chance.
Good point, and that may help.
Quote from: Nyx on January 17, 2017, 02:13:49 PM
Also, I don't understand this, but why are Star Trek shields more advanced than Star Wars shields?
I don't know either, but they definitely appear to be.

This is fun!

The Sith Empire (at the time SWTOR) vs. The Daleks (Random I know)

Quote from: Commander Awesome on January 17, 2017, 02:46:41 PM
The Sith Empire (at the time SWTOR) vs. The Daleks (Random I know)

It's been established a few times that large sci-fi guns defeat Daleks, so really they only seem to be OP against 21st century humanity with their silly kinetic weapons.

Lightsaber would probably deflect the Death Ray, and Death Rays have been shown to one-shot Daleks.

Quote from: Ltin on January 17, 2017, 12:25:19 PM
I think there are other less well known universes where ship can travel MUCH faster than even star wars (dont ask me to name any of them i cant).

But is suddenly appears at one's homeworld really an issue? They cant just pop in out of nowhere. Otherwise the Republic would certainly have showed up at Raxus, and the CIS would have poped into the coruscant much earlier than they did. I mean it is still an advantage, but an invading force would have to deal with the fact that the space they are invading is uncharted for them, while the enemy knows all the routes that can easily be taken.

The main advantage to Hyperspace compared to other forms of FTL travel is that you cannot be intercepted once you're in hyperspace. (Unless the enemy has gravity-well generators)

In the Star Wars universe, the only limit to being able to jump literally anywhere is having to navigate around large celestial objects and anything that has a large gravitational pull.

So there are hyperspace 'lanes' which are pre-established routes, but otherwise space is so big the pilot and computer have a lot of calculations to make before jumping.

So really.... I guess it depends on the turf? If The Empire invades say... the Alpha Quadrant in Star Trek, they would have no idea where they were going...

...While Star Trek vessels pretty much pick a direction and go real fast.

I guess with Coruscant, the CIS had to have captured various check-points (bits of space, planets etc) to get a complete 'route' to Coruscant before throwing most of their fleet there.

Right? Am I getting too deep?

Quote from: Commander Awesome on January 17, 2017, 02:08:41 PMOf course, there's also this to consider :P

Dude, yessss
If you are good at something, never do it for attention.

I'll throw my own scenario in the mix here :P

The Galactic Empire vs the Imperium of Man (Warhammer 40k.)

I'll have to toss my hat in this one to the Galactic Empire. Warp travel for the Imperium fleets takes way too darn long meanwhile the Galactic Empire is launching raids on just about everything the Imperium would control, and Star Destroyers can easily decimate planets. In a straight fight however, I think the Imperium would have the advantage. Their ships are much more advanced plus, the Empire's weaponry is designed to repel energy based weapons, which the Imperium (and especially the Space Marines) don't use. The Imperium also does have (albeit limited) teleportation tech. But in the end, the Galactic Empire just has more resources and the slow warp travel of the Imperium gives the Empire the time it needs to counter the Imperium's weapons.

...I'm going to sit out of the Star Trek vs Star Wars stuff because I know nothing about Star Trek XD
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

I would think the Borg vs The Empire would be a fun fight.
While Borg transporters seem like an advantage in Star Trek, I think they're actually quite vulnerable to what Star Wars refers to 'jamming'.

Transporting is basically transmitting data into space, which I reckon could be blocked by jamming, and various types of shields.

While the Borg can adapt, it kinda seems tame. Considering they've been adapting for centuries, they seem to have no melee ability.
In Star Trek, it seemed they adapted to very specific frequencies of phasers etc.

Borg Drones are also more stupid on screen than Storm Troopers and act pretty much like techno zombies, never attempting to take cover from fire.

Also a Vader / Emperor combo would probably mess them up.

Quote from: Unit 33 on January 26, 2017, 08:23:25 AM
Also a Vader / Emperor combo would probably mess them up.
I remember reading a book where there was a sort of good guys of star trek and star wars vs the bad guys, and in it the emperor seized control of the borg.