The "I Have An Idea!" thread

Started by Snake, March 07, 2012, 11:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Isaac1138 on October 23, 2016, 10:47:41 AM
Couple of GREAT map ideas.  The pictures indicate of what parts of the mod map shown.

BF2 Ideas:

From the CW episode, "Missing in Action," The planet, Abafar. 

The Geonosis undead hive as seen in the CW episode, "Legacy of Terror"  The scary, dark tunnels and fight the undead geonosians.

Invisible Hand Interior Ship from Episode III 

BF1 ideas:

And again, Naboo Theed Palace (not hangers)

Trade Federation Ship: Interior from episode 1

Not sure if this mod includes the Invisible hand for SWBF2 that you were talking about: http://swgb.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3928
The years just fly past, don't they?

February 14, 2017, 12:34:22 AM #181 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:39:18 AM by Linux user awesome
swbf1 idea

I have an idea you guy's should make an earth map of a real earth town.
But a small town of cource. you could go to google earth and find a town
small enof to put into SWBF1 or you could make a walmart interior map
that would be fun. :rofl:  i could even help with a few thing's like the sides
that is so fun to me! but any way i hope you'l at least consider it and
remember i want to help to  :happy:. well of to bed. :sleep:

EDIT: oh and btw its fine if you guys don't i will just make a lower quality one myself
if needs be. ;)
"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer

Quote from: Linux user awesome on February 14, 2017, 12:34:22 AM
swbf1 idea

I have an idea you guy's should make an earth map of a real earth town.
But a small town of cource. you could go to google earth and find a town
small enof to put into SWBF1 or you could make a walmart interior map
that would be fun. :rofl:  i could even help with a few thing's like the sides
that is so fun to me! but any way i hope you'l at least consider it and
remember i want to help to  :happy:. well of to bed. :sleep:

EDIT: oh and btw its fine if you guys don't i will just make a lower quality one myself
if needs be. ;)
there was an earth map made before. no walmart though.

where is it could you post a link :)

February 14, 2017, 06:23:57 PM #184 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:27:36 PM by Ltin
there is this but it isnt the one i was thinking of, and its for swbf 2: http://www.moddb.com/mods/sol-map-pack

edit: there is this too but still not what i was thinking of: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=112

thanks i allredy played the Egypt one there is also a Russia one.
but what i want is a more realistic small Canada or U.S town
just small enof to put into swbf1 with buildings, houses and
stores that you can go in. but you probaly could have a bigger
one if its swbf2  :happy: but i prefer swbf1  :)

it might a little imposable of an idea but not to far fetched if its small :happy:

but anyway i think i'l go get all the earth like assets and then go to the
asset request topic and request some assets for a earth town map
and make my own (and credit everyone that helped of cource) and
realese it. or just use the lego stile for it. but ether way i'm going to
make one :hmm: or get one somewhere :P

and thanks again for all the help  :happy:   

Just a thought and I am a little surprised that nobody has thought of this yet, but...

How about building a clone game engine for SWBF/SWBF2? I've seen programmers working on one for another game and it's obvious that we'll never get the source code for either SWBF or SWBF2. It would, of course, require a talented programmer or a group of them, and a lot of time. As for any potential issues rising from legality, what would be presented is the engine: you would require SWBF/SWBF2 to be able to use it as it would still read the LVL files (you would place it in your SWBF/SWBF2 executable's directory and define which game you are running from INI file, which we can also use to manually alter things like control schemes, addon folder location etc)

The advantages are clear to me: full control over the engine, including memory pools, removal of limits etc, new features we have not ever had in the PC version such as the console unit selection screen, integrting new features not already possible in Battlefront, enabling bug fixes... the list goes on. I can remember psych0fred suggesting that we move Battlefront into a newer engine but it has become clear just moving it into Unity or Unreal, which would require full format reconversion, would most likely draw EA's ire. Creating an engine that requires you to own a copy of the game already that reads the native formats of SWBF would be a way around that, I think.

So there's my idea. Don't know if we have any programmers who would be willing to put in that kind of work though: after all, SWBF2 is quite a versatile game engine already, it's just a bit outdated and not as featureful as it could be.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Quote from: Gistech on February 28, 2017, 09:02:54 AM
Just a thought and I am a little surprised that nobody has thought of this yet, but...

How about building a clone game engine for SWBF/SWBF2? I've seen programmers working on one for another game and it's obvious that we'll never get the source code for either SWBF or SWBF2. It would, of course, require a talented programmer or a group of them, and a lot of time. As for any potential issues rising from legality, what would be presented is the engine: you would require SWBF/SWBF2 to be able to use it as it would still read the LVL files (you would place it in your SWBF/SWBF2 executable's directory and define which game you are running from INI file, which we can also use to manually alter things like control schemes, addon folder location etc)

The advantages are clear to me: full control over the engine, including memory pools, removal of limits etc, new features we have not ever had in the PC version such as the console unit selection screen, integrting new features not already possible in Battlefront, enabling bug fixes... the list goes on. I can remember psych0fred suggesting that we move Battlefront into a newer engine but it has become clear just moving it into Unity or Unreal, which would require full format reconversion, would most likely draw EA's ire. Creating an engine that requires you to own a copy of the game already that reads the native formats of SWBF would be a way around that, I think.

So there's my idea. Don't know if we have any programmers who would be willing to put in that kind of work though: after all, SWBF2 is quite a versatile game engine already, it's just a bit outdated and not as featureful as it could be.

I'm nearly finishing up a Computer Science degree - and I think I'd be up for some programming to that end! (I'd prefer working on BF1 though) I don't have any experience creating a game engine, but I'd be willing to learn and start writing some code!  :tu:

As for any potential issues rising from legality, what would be presented is the engine: you would require SWBF/SWBF2 to be able to use it as it would still read the LVL files (you would place it in your SWBF/SWBF2 executable's directory and define which game you are running from INI file, which we can also use to manually alter things like control schemes, addon folder location etc)
The Engine is still owned by somebody. I dont know that this would actually avoid any legal issues. If you pedal it as a mod you might be able to get away with it, maybe, but i would treat carefully.

Quote from: Ltin on February 28, 2017, 10:38:28 AM
The Engine is still owned by somebody. I dont know that this would actually avoid any legal issues. If you pedal it as a mod you might be able to get away with it, maybe, but i would treat carefully.

Only if we directly used source code from the original games. As we know, that would be impossible anyway because 2004/2005 code is not compatible with the modern compilers, so a lot of it would need to be rewritten to be useable anyway.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on February 28, 2017, 02:34:08 PM
Only if we directly used source code from the original games. As we know, that would be impossible anyway because 2004/2005 code is not compatible with the modern compilers, so a lot of it would need to be rewritten to be useable anyway.
If we had the code, would it be possible to use a 2004/2005 compiler setup?

Quote from: Phobos on February 28, 2017, 03:11:42 PM
If we had the code, would it be possible to use a 2004/2005 compiler setup?

Absolutely. But the point is moot, because the only person I know who has the source code is psych0fred and he is unable to share it.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on February 28, 2017, 03:16:58 PM
Absolutely. But the point is moot, because the only person I know who has the source code is psych0fred and he is unable to share it.
Yeah that would only matter if the code could be shared, which unfortunately isn't possible (unless fred wanted to mod the engine himself and release an improved version for us, which is unlikely). But perhaps one day if we can code our own engine that can override the memorypool limitations of zeroengine, we might not need the source. We just need help from programmers who have this level of knowledge.
Don't know if we have any programmers who would be willing to put in that kind of work though

What about a graphics mod (like Harrison's) for Battlefront 1.
If you are good at something, never do it for attention.

April 13, 2017, 01:30:37 PM #194 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:39:26 AM by swgaming1015
Map ideas:

Starkiller Base: Interior

D'qar: Resistance base

Onderon: City

Lothal: Capital City

Jehda: City

Eadu: Imperial Refinery

Saak'ak: Interior

Invisible Hand: Interior

Vardos: City

Takodana: Maz's Castle

Sullust: Imperial Base