Size and distance in SWBF1!

Started by Linux user Awesome, April 12, 2018, 10:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 12, 2018, 10:47:27 PM Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:39:44 AM by Linux user Awesome
most of you probaly all ready know this but here we go.

So this past week I have been messing with vehicle speed and map size(and the tape mesure under paths in ZE).

and have discovered this.

projectile velocity, vehicle speed and unit speed are messured in kph.
the tape messure under paths in ZE messures in meters.(duh)
when you create terrian in ZE it is also in meters.
and you can make a 2x2 km map. I tried to make 4x4 km as well but ZE will not load the world after exit and terrain will not munge. not sure If a 2x2 km map would work out very well with a lot of objects and things but a basicaly blank map works fine for me.
And also with wings 3D 1 square on the grid = 1 meter

But the thing is that when you compare units to say a 2 meter tall object the size looks wrong.
But it is not. I have done the math with vehicle speed and map size going across the map and timing my travel time to get the distance. and varries other things.
witch means that the units are 2 meters tall! that is about 6-9 in imperial! -those dudes are big

I guess there is that whole thing about prespective and stuff but in ZE the tape mesure has the letter m after the number witch stands for meters so I am pretty sure that this is the way it works.

and here are a few fun "facts" based on this "discovery".

these numbers are rounded.
rebel sniper rifle max range is 83m(273ft)
rebel most rifle max range is 33m(109ft)
rebel torpedo launcher max range 122m(401ft)

to get the max range of a weapon take the lifeSpan divide it by 3600 and multiply that number by the velocity
and you have it's range in km you can multiply km by 1000 to get it in meters you can multiply meters by 3.28 to get feet

and the CIS droid fighter can fly as fast as a ford model-T can drive!(72kph or 45mph).

but anyway I hope this is use full to someone.
"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer

I didn't know. But good contribution Linux! :D
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

See if you can calculate the value of gravity, and see if you can find it in the exe so we can change it  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Okay but I probally will be able not get around to it untell next week. (or the week after that. ::))

Lunix i think you are Lobot from Bespin :D

Hi, Linux, interesting topic!  ;) Its interesting, too, that the editor of an American game and xsi uses meters. (Europeans like me can be glad  :D )
Are you sure you can't make terrains bigger than 2x2 km ?
Gridsize 1024x1024 is working on my system: 1 Grid  corresponds to 8 meters, so its over 8x8km then.
Do you use potencies of 2. like 1024x1024 or 512x512?

Quote from: Triops on April 17, 2018, 03:36:05 PM
Hi, Linux, interesting topic!  ;) Its interesting, too, that the editor of an American game and xsi uses meters. (Europeans like me can be glad  :D )

Almost everything made in the US for an international market is made with SI units--cars, planes, etc. and I guess games too :)

Building materials and certain other custom built items will use English Standard units.

Beverages are kind of mixed--you can get a 2 liter bottle of soda, but you also get a gallon of milk.   :cheers:

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks.

I am comfortable With both metric and imperial but I prefer metric.

Are you sure you can't make terrains bigger than 2x2 km ?

I can make a terrain that is 2048x2048 but 4096x4096 will not work for me.

Gridsize 1024x1024 is working on my system: 1 Grid  corresponds to 8 meters, so its over 8x8km then.

You could scale everything but the terrain down by 8(or any number really.) to make it seem that manny times larger.(or up to make it seam smaller).
I asume this is what you mean? but by default 2048x2048 for example is 2048x2048 meters. witch would be 2.048x2.048km as you should probably all ready know.

Do you use potencies of 2. like 1024x1024 or 512x512?

Yes. This is what i prefer to use in most of my projects battlefront or not.(I am not even 100% sure if any other potencies would work. but I asume they would)

Quote from: Linux user Awesome on April 21, 2018, 12:16:58 AM
You could scale everything but the terrain down by 8(or any number really.) to make it seem that manny times larger.(or up to make it seam smaller).
I asume this is what you mean? but by default 2048x2048 for example is 2048x2048 meters. witch would be 2.048x2.048km as you should probably all ready know.
I think you're misunderstanding him ;). By default each terrain square is 8²m. So the 2048² terrain you've made is really (2048 * 8)²m or 16.384²km. The size of the terrain grid can be changed with the console command editor.gridsize and is unrelated to world scale.

The world scale as you stated is 1.0 = 1m. And by default the terrain has a grid size of 8.0 (or 8m).

Oh okay. :slap: