WIP Model Showcase Thread

Started by Giftheck, August 23, 2017, 07:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 23, 2017, 07:22:10 AM Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:56:52 AM by Gistech
I thought this would a thing to do, because it saves this section from cluttering with a ton of WIP threads.

Much like the 'Skins Showcase' thread, this is a place you can show what models you're working on. I'll start off:

Would anybody find a use for a 2-M Saber-Class Tank:

The main body is the stock IFT-T. The actual turret itself is modified from the Star Wars Commander 2-M Tank (which carries Disney's EULA regarding user content).

I'm just thinking of what weapons the main driver could get.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Well, I'm not showcasing my own model by any means.. It's just the stock imp_inf_scout.msh
The cool part is.. It's rendering in my browser tool after beginning it yesterday! Woooooooo!

RepComm this is really cool.What is the purpose of your program?Is this just model viewer or editing program of some sort?

October 10, 2017, 08:31:22 AM #3 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:12:46 PM by RepComm
My intentions are to at least make a map editor in the browser, but I realize it may be a task bigger than I can handle, so I'm not making promises. I'm using three.js (https://threejs.org) to render everything, and I'm building a plugin system that is currently functional (the actual render code is all in a demo plugin), and I'm writing functional User Interface API (the sky editor is a plugin using the widget manager).

Its still extremely early in development, but you can run/edit/fork the project on GitHub: https://github.com/RepComm/bfsdk
It's the same code that in working on, so you could consider all code 'bleeding edge'

The really neat part is that it's all html/css and JavaScript, so in theory it should work on any device with a modern browser capable of html5.

Edit- Link to project will be up again this afternoon, don't worry.
Edit- Link is up, same url applies.

Quote from: RepComm on October 10, 2017, 08:31:22 AM
My intentions are to at least make a map editor in the browser, but I realize it may be a task bigger than I can handle, so I'm not making promises. I'm using three.js (https://threejs.org) to render everything, and I'm building a plugin system that is currently functional (the actual render code is all in a demo plugin), and I'm writing functional User Interface API (the sky editor is a plugin using the widget manager).

Its still extremely early in development, but you can run/edit/fork the project on GitHub: https://github.com/RepComm/bfsdk
It's the same code that in working on, so you could consider all code 'bleeding edge'

The really neat part is that it's all html/css and JavaScript, so in theory it should work on any device with a modern browser capable of html5.
That's pretty darn cool, even if it doesn't do much at this stage. Feel free to hit me up if you get to the point where you want help or advise with any of the file formats (raw or munged).

As the Wii version of TFU is now able to have its models ripped, I ported the Jump Trooper and the Stormtrooper (and may do the 501st and Heavy Troopers at some stage).

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper and Stormtrooper with Pauldron (I didn't show the Stormtroopers with just the pauldron, or just the backpack attachments) are all override texture-compatible. I've already done a Shocktrooper skin, I'm going to include the Shadowtrooper skin and do an Incinerator Trooper skin as well.

I just have to tweak the envelope and the hp_fire positions a bit then these are ready for release. They're a little high-poly for SWBF1 (sitting over 2000 tris) though it it highly possible to reduce polys on these to make them more compatible. They're good for SWBF2, though.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on November 01, 2017, 06:22:56 AM
I just have to tweak the envelope and the hp_fire positions a bit then these are ready for release. They're a little high-poly for SWBF1 (sitting over 2000 tris) though it it highly possible to reduce polys on these to make them more compatible. They're good for SWBF2, though.
Wait, what? Isn't the stock Stormtrooper in SWBF1 over 2000 triangles anyway?

Also does this not actually work correctly as I thought it did?

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 01, 2017, 06:36:31 AM
Wait, what? Isn't the stock Stormtrooper in SWBF1 over 2000 triangles anyway?

The stock stormtrooper weighs in at 1651 polys without gear and 1877 with the sandtrooper gear, which is within the recommended 1500-2000 tris the documentation suggests.

In contrast the WiiFU stormtrooper is 2049, and the 'sandtrooper' version (which lacks the detpack and ammo packs at its sides) is 2158. The Jump Trooper is 2094. Not horrendously over, definitely workable but you still risk the whole low-res flip out.

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 01, 2017, 06:36:31 AMAlso does this not actually work correctly as I thought it did?

It does but it still produces the sliding animation issue (which you've said is currently not fixable), I haven't yet figured out which factor works best for it though.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on November 01, 2017, 06:41:34 AM
The stock stormtrooper weighs in at 1651 polys without gear and 1877 with the sandtrooper gear, which is within the recommended 1500-2000 tris the documentation suggests.
Ah my mistake. I was basing my figure off what the munged model's LOD says, which must include all the degenerate triangles as well.

Quote from: Gistech on November 01, 2017, 06:41:34 AM
It does but it still produces the sliding animation issue (which you've said is currently not fixable), I haven't yet figured out which factor works best for it though.
Ah I see. I would start with a low one like 2 and work up from there. Whatever gets the player's model and a couple others around it rendering properly without sliding is what I would go for. Then you'll just have to accept that lowres switching around the player is a thing that will (like for the past 13 years) happen.

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 01, 2017, 06:50:21 AM
Ah my mistake. I was basing my figure off what the munged model's LOD says, which must include all the degenerate triangles as well.
Ah I see. I would start with a low one like 2 and work up from there. Whatever gets the player's model and a couple others around it rendering properly without sliding is what I would go for. Then you'll just have to accept that lowres switching around the player is a thing that will (like for the past 13 years) happen.

I'll definitely give that setting a go. If it works, I'll be using these Stormtroopers in Legacy instead of the modified stock ones. I just love how accurate they look despite them not being as high-poly as the PC TFU models.
In Progress:

On Hold:

ggctuk, asprigin3dmod form facepunch here.

You should take the hands from the heavy trooper and replace the stormtrooper ones. Also just a question, why are you worried about the polygoncount?, you said the DICE stormtrooper's worked fine

November 01, 2017, 08:56:11 AM #11 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:00:31 AM by Gistech
Quote from: Newmodder on November 01, 2017, 08:54:26 AM
ggctuk, asprigin3dmod form facepunch here.

You should take the hands from the heavy trooper and replace the stormtrooper ones. Also just a question, why are you worried about the polygoncount?, you said the DICE stormtrooper's worked fine

I tested the DICE troopers in SWBF2, not SWBF. In SWBF, you're very limited by how poly-heavy a model can be.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Just curious again, why use BF1?, its a great game but why not port the maps to BF2?, or is it a particle/graphical reason?, or you just want the map perfect like it is in 1?  8)

November 01, 2017, 01:08:18 PM #13 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:11:01 PM by Gistech
Quote from: Newmodder on November 01, 2017, 12:56:10 PM
Just curious again, why use BF1?, its a great game but why not port the maps to BF2?, or is it a particle/graphical reason?, or you just want the map perfect like it is in 1?  8)

Modding SWBF1 is a lot simpler than SWBF2, so there's that. Also, there are several things that SWBF1 has that SWBF2 doesn't (functioning disguise kits, grappling hooks, certain visual effects that just don't work in SWBF2 - Hence why people always have trouble porting Sereja's maps). Some of the maps don't look as good in SWBF2 either, and while all the stock maps have already been ported (but are in some cases inferior in visual quality) not all the mod maps have been, or indeed can be, ported over (again, the aforementioned Sereja maps). I like the idea of working within this game and keeping it alive as well. But overall, it's its simplicity that I find charming.

Though it is my intention, once I'm done, to bring what I've done to SWBF2.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 01, 2017, 06:50:21 AM

Factor 2 works superbly with the models, so thanks for pointing that out! This new Stormtrooper looks gorgeous in my mod, and even the slightly-higher poly count units work great!
In Progress:

On Hold: