This is hard for me to understand...

Started by Red04SWBF, July 28, 2017, 11:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello again.

Let's say that this post is something special and goes on a somewhat complex question... And I need your help.

When I was doing the conversion of maps from SWBF2 to SWBF1 (specifically Coruscant: Jedi Temple) I still have problems with collisions. The truth is that you're right, SWBF2 collisions are somewhat different in SWBF1, and the resulting map was very glitchy (as one tester of my map said to me). But I realized there was a way to fix it using XSI Softimage and ZE Tools, so I installed these 2 tools.

And here's where the problem comes: I've become familiar with XSI Softimage and I know that to solve some collisions I have to change "p_-so-XXXYYY" to "collisionYYY". But my question is: Is there any way to check which geometry has collision or not? And is there any way to add the collision to geometry that which doesn't have?

For example, here's a screenshot of "Cor1_bldg_Minor_hall_05.msh" (exported) in XSI Softimage. The selected part is related to a part of the ground that has no collision (and that I couldn't fix). I've seen that each geometry has properties, but I have no idea if there is any property that is related to collisions.

Also, when I click on an element with the name "p_-so-XXXYYY" it seems that no geometry is selected on the screen (I don't understand why there is an H underneath and what means).

I understand that all of this requires some knowledge of modeling, but I don't think there is any way to fix / see the collision of every geometric element in an MSH file.

So, do you have any idea how you can do with this tool?

(I'm very close to getting it, so I won't give up!)
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

QuoteAlso, when I click on an element with the name "p_-so-XXXYYY" it seems that no geometry is selected on the screen (I don't understand why there is an H underneath and what means).
The ''H'' means hide. You need to click H button on your keyboard to unhide it.
QuoteBut my question is: Is there any way to check which geometry has collision or not? And is there any way to add the collision to geometry that which doesn't have?
Weird question. The geometry and collision geometry - the different geometries... :wacko: Anyway, to add collision to certain geometry you need just to copy it and rename as collision (perhaps also you may need to reducted it and remove textures).
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on July 28, 2017, 12:11:45 PM
The ''H'' means hide. You need to click H button on your keyboard to unhide it.Weird question. The geometry and collision geometry - the different geometries... :wacko: Anyway, to add collision to certain geometry you need just to copy it and rename as collision (perhaps also you may need to reducted it and remove textures).

Its easier to think about it as two different scenes.
You have the visible, pretty scene that holds all the things you can display on a screen.

Then, there is the completely invisible scene only meant for the game's eyes only, and doesn't have anything to do with what is on the screen; this is the collision scene.

Both scenes are independent from each other, so you can do cool things like make secret entrances, and make stair cases really smooth to walk on. Making simpler collision shapes has an added benefit of speeding up battlefront, because the math involved in calculating collision is pretty heavy.

As Sereja said, any geometry with a name that starts with 'collision' will be used by battlefront's collision engine. Even if there isn't a visible object that looks the same. Remember to hide the collisions when you're done.

July 28, 2017, 11:41:18 PM #3 Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:05:10 AM by Ginev
For example you are showing us a picture of Cor corridor and on the picture there is no collision related to the floor when you click on the floor part.So you have to create yor own collision.That require some modding skills for Xsi.Just make some tiny box and put it on the floor.Do not forget to triangulate it cuz it will not work.

Thanks guys! It seems to me that typing H to all the hidden collisions I have found something that could explain the errors of collision:

Have you seen the selected part? I think it should be in the right position and it's not. It's curious. Also if you look at it with perspective it seems that the ramp corresponds to the collision of the corridor stairs, just like the rest of the geometric bodies.

I know the problem now is to move and place all this in the correct position and rename "p_-so-collisionXXX" to "collisionXXX". My question is if there is any way to restore the position of the selected collision to its original position.

If not, I'll deal with my visual perspective... :smirksweat:
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

Making deal with your visual perspective would be the best solution. Still it's curious why are you try to rename those primitive collisions... Their names looks correct, and should work in game. (I hope you know p_cube means "primitive collision cube").

Quote from: Sereja on August 05, 2017, 09:47:19 AM
Making deal with your visual perspective would be the best solution. Still it's curious why are you try to rename those primitive collisions... Their names looks correct, and should work in game. (I hope you know p_cube means "primitive collision cube").

Several modders like Gistech have told me that I have to rename them, IDK.

Anyway, I already know how to move, extrude, rotate geometric bodies. I will look to place them in the best possible way. But I'm surprised that collisions appear in an incorrect position instead of the usual one.

August 05, 2017, 10:24:56 AM #7 Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:27:48 AM by Sereja
The game uses 2 types of collision: 1) usual collision: could be any shape, and named collision. 2) primitive collision: could be only cube, sphere or cylinder, and named p_cube, p_sphere and p_cylinder. It uses mostly for vehicles or doors, but as you can see it's also may be useful for buildings.

August 05, 2017, 10:35:14 AM #8 Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:37:37 AM by Red04 (CC-4398)
Quote from: Sereja on August 05, 2017, 10:24:56 AM
The game uses 2 types of collision: 1) usual collision: could be any shape, and named collision. 2) primitive collision: could be only cube, sphere or cylinder, and named p_cube, p_sphere and p_cylinder. It uses mostly for vehicles or doors, but as you can see it's also may be useful for buildings.

Oh, I didn't know it. I already thought there was something strange...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your concretion!

I have tried to place the collisions in their correct position and it has worked. :) But I cannot export the edited .MSH file. I get this error:

I need help.

It say it can't export camera, so don't do this. Try export only your model by select it.

Quote from: Sereja on August 06, 2017, 07:11:53 AM
It say it can't export camera, so don't do this. Try export only your model by select it.

Thanks again. It worked, but when I opened the resulting .MSH...

I don't understand. There are parts that I haven't placed in those positions. Something has happened for XSI Softimage to put it this way. My head is aching... :wacko: