Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Started by Roxas, December 14, 2012, 03:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
guns=can kill
cars=can kill

Now we won't go and outlaw cars will we?!

When you consider the gun control debate, keep in mind that when the founding fathers created the 2nd amendment, the arms they wanted the right to bear were likely hunting rifles and muskets and old things like that, not machine guns and semi-automatic rifles. You don't need an AK-47 to hunt rabbits.

The fact of the matter is, 20 kids and 6 adults died because a man with severe issues somehow had access to multiple firearms. Keep that in mind when you take a side on the issue.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on December 15, 2012, 07:58:19 PM
guns=can kill
cars=can kill

Now we won't go and outlaw cars will we?!
Very wise words.

I may also add:
girls=can kill

Seriosly, automatic weapons or not, is dosn't matter. If the owner is normal person, everything be ok, if psycho - get ready for trouble... So, it's maybe have sense, to make people, do some psychological tests, before give them license for gun ownership.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on December 16, 2012, 12:20:12 AM
Very wise words.

I may also add:
girls=can kill

Seriosly, automatic weapons or not, is dosn't matter. If the owner is normal person, everything be ok, if psycho - get ready for trouble... So, it's maybe have sense, to make people, do some psychological tests, before give them license for gun ownership.
The thing is though, automatic weapons have no other purpose than killing a lot of people. There's no reason why a semi-automatic handgun, and an automatic rifle should be available for purchase by a normal citizen.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

This is the product of the USA's carelessness and glorification of arms and their military... Victory does not need to come through arms. This heinous act is repugnant and heart quenching; just goes to show that life is short.

Quote from: Droideka on December 16, 2012, 11:21:30 AM
The thing is though, automatic weapons have no other purpose than killing a lot of people. There's no reason why a semi-automatic handgun, and an automatic rifle should be available for purchase by a normal citizen.
Correct. While a car is equally capable of killing it is not designed to do so, in-fact the manufacturers go through extensive testing to reduce the amount of damage a car can do to the occupant etc.
Guns on the other hand have one purpose.

You know... most things can kill, plastic bags, forks, bowling balls. So yes that argument is invalid whoever started it.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on December 16, 2012, 11:41:08 AM
You know... most things can kill, plastic bags, forks, bowling balls. So yes that argument is invalid whoever started it.
I think the argument is more that if someone wants to kill they will find a way to do it. Guns are used to kill people but, like most things do have other uses (hunting, pest control, target ranges etc).
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on December 16, 2012, 12:15:24 PM
I think the argument is more that if someone wants to kill they will find a way to do it. Guns are used to kill people but, like most things do have other uses (hunting, pest control, target ranges etc).
Yeah that's the one. If it hadn't been a gun it could have easily been a knife, a bomb, gas or something like that.

December 16, 2012, 12:47:22 PM #38 Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:58:23 PM by UNIT 33
Quote from: jdee-barc on December 15, 2012, 08:29:04 PM
When you consider the gun control debate, keep in mind that when the founding fathers created the 2nd amendment, the arms they wanted the right to bear were likely hunting rifles and muskets and old things like that, not machine guns and semi-automatic rifles. You don't need an AK-47 to hunt rabbits.

The fact of the matter is, 20 kids and 6 adults died because a man with severe issues somehow had access to multiple firearms. Keep that in mind when you take a side on the issue.

He stole them because he wasn't allowed them, but any way that's like saying they didn't have radio and TV when they invented the first ammendment.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on December 16, 2012, 11:41:08 AM
Correct. While a car is equally capable of killing it is not designed to do so, in-fact the manufacturers go through extensive testing to reduce the amount of damage a car can do to the occupant etc.
Guns on the other hand have one purpose.

Guns are made for self defense and are used 60 times more often for that than for murder.

Guns dont kill people, its the person behind the gun (a person  :o) that kills another person.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: Allanon on December 15, 2012, 12:57:05 AM
As an Australian, I just dont understand how Americans dont bring in stronger gun control laws. In this country, we had a massacre some years back, and very strong gun laws were introduced immediatley, and whilst we hear about a gun incident every now and again(usually involving a bikie war, or other illegal activity), major incidents are almost non exsistent. I get that mentally unbalanced people are to blame for these massacres, but allowing virtually anyone to purchase a gun because 'its their constitutional right' is just as mentally unbalanced in my view.

Don't want to spam this topic with political arguments, but just want to say that in California it's very difficult to get a gun, but in Texas it's very easy, but California has a higher murder rate.

December 16, 2012, 01:17:14 PM #41 Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:21:52 PM by BlackScorpion
The hilarity of misunderstandings regarding the Second Amendment are eclipsed only by the gravity of this tragic event.

ETA: Several misunderstandings ITT.

Perhaps this ought to put things into perspective:

December 16, 2012, 01:24:00 PM #43 Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:26:04 PM by UNIT 33
Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on December 16, 2012, 01:18:35 PM
Perhaps this ought to put things into perspective:

I like how the omitted all countries with higher death rates than the U.S., by the way in Switzerland you're required to have a full auto machine gun in your home and they have one of the lowest death rates in Europe.

This is not a soap box. Please refrain from political arguments.