[WIP] Supplies Outpost

Started by Epifire, July 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: UNIT 33 on August 25, 2013, 01:43:04 AM
Are you using some reference material for this? The buildings are bang-on the Imperial aesthetic.

Just JK: Jedi Outcast, since I love that game so much for it's locations. Might have been mapped in old BSP brushes but it still looks great to me for how they conveyed Imperial architecture...

I'm aiming for the Kejim color and lighting schemes so if you can imagine these white AO maps getting color added to look like that. I've looking over a lot of Imperial stuff in the past though so while I have my theme, most of the stuff is just added when I need it and I sorta follow mental guide lines I have for it. Most of which is... Keep it metal, make sure lots of edges (mainly door frames) have lights in them and also keep it boxy but make sure the edges are defined.

See one thing too many mappers don't understand (but was very well taken care of it JK:O) was minding the edges with textures. You can have something extremely boxy and simple in terms of geometry but if your edges are defined with details meant to handle edge work you can really make it pop. Often I'm using the same five textures for a whole building, but I know what I'm gonna use them for so if I keep that in mind they usually go a long ways. I still could use a couple more panel textures for interior work but so far it's been working out pretty well. What's really gonna be difficult is adding color and detail to my textures when I'm done making all the buildings.
photobucket limit image removed

Your work is.. Serajacious!  :o That's a level no one has reached except Sereja himself!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Epifire on August 25, 2013, 12:29:54 PM
Just JK: Jedi Outcast, since I love that game so much for it's locations. Might have been mapped in old BSP brushes but it still looks great to me for how they conveyed Imperial architecture...
I'm aiming for the Kejim color and lighting schemes so if you can imagine these white AO maps getting color added to look like that. I've looking over a lot of Imperial stuff in the past though so while I have my theme, most of the stuff is just added when I need it and I sorta follow mental guide lines I have for it. Most of which is... Keep it metal, make sure lots of edges (mainly door frames) have lights in them and also keep it boxy but make sure the edges are defined.
See one thing too many mappers don't understand (but was very well taken care of it JK:O) was minding the edges with textures. You can have something extremely boxy and simple in terms of geometry but if your edges are defined with details meant to handle edge work you can really make it pop. Often I'm using the same five textures for a whole building, but I know what I'm gonna use them for so if I keep that in mind they usually go a long ways. I still could use a couple more panel textures for interior work but so far it's been working out pretty well. What's really gonna be difficult is adding color and detail to my textures when I'm done making all the buildings.
Jedi Knight 2 is a great game! In-fact is was the game I played extensively before I came over to SWBF...
You can tell a lot of dedication went into their textures... I've used them in past for various skins.
I think that lighting should look really nice in SWBF... especially with some appropriate gloss/shinny effects applied to the targas.

Well good thing is Crazy Bump is handy for tile textures, and the good thing is I happen to own a copy of CB. So I'll be building the appropriate looking specs and bumps for a lot of them. Gonna be a smaller map then most are thinking but as long as I handle view cutoff accordingly I can pack a lot of detail into the smaller spaces I use.

I plan on letting a lot of the models disappear as long as the disappear when not in view. Not sure if the engine handles it better with or without the lowrez version. I just assumed the lowrez was a way to keep it from popping out of view. If this is the case I wont be using Air Craft for my map but it makes more sense like that anyway.

I think models without a lowrez turn black or grey. The models I'm thinking of may be special cases though. Idk
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on August 25, 2013, 06:13:05 PM
I think models without a lowrez turn black or grey. The models I'm thinking of may be special cases though. Idk
Uh, I do it all the time and don't get this result. (For buildings vehicles and person models.)

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on August 25, 2013, 08:33:29 PM
Uh, I do it all the time and don't get this result. (For buildings vehicles and person models.)

Well all I know is if I can help the engine performance by cutting off lowrez models I'll at least do that with interior stuff. This is of course if the view distances will allow me. If they are far enough and have a predictable range I can play with that, otherwise I'll just go the classic route.

So good news is I'm buying some backup XP machines for backward compatible options. Will be able to fully Munge and work on my own map now.  :tu:

Working through a OS issue on this rig and moving to another state at the moment. So pardon my long delay in updates but this project is still going, just on hold for a little while.  :cheers:

dude its like im in JK2 on a free cam thats how amazing this map is.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Pretty excited. Finally moved into my new place and am getting the final stuff setup so I can get back to work on this. After the sharing folders go up, who knows what's gonna happen.  8)

Oh btw, gonna be looking for a modeler/mapper for some collaboration once again. I want to get that turret finished for one thing and I want it to have it's own custom scope material among a couple other things. Could really use the help there so PM me if you got any tips on getting a turret set and working.

Just got done with the bake off of this blast door, and am happy to say it turned out well...

Adding color to these as flat textures is gonna be interesting but with the right method it should go pretty smooth. Before I get carried away with this stuff again I still will be looking at ways to get the turbo-laser turret finished though. Lights and all the fine little elements are gonna be fun to look into as well.

That my friend, is simply beautiful.
Keep up the great, low-poly work :P

Just pulled a test off for the main supplies building and after some cluster tweaks it works fine. Of course there is no shadows, transparent windows and the textures are colorless still, but that'll all be well in hand. Just figured I'd give something that shows a bit of in-game scale...

Still much more to do, and as of right now I'm looking into getting lights and glow textures working as well. I may start detailing the textures soon too but it's still too soon to tell.

Brilliant work sir, truly a master of your craft.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Quote from: Epifire on December 18, 2013, 09:18:51 PM
Just pulled a test off for the main supplies building and after some cluster tweaks it works fine. Of course there is no shadows, transparent windows and the textures are colorless still, but that'll all be well in hand. Just figured I'd give something that shows a bit of in-game scale...

Still much more to do, and as of right now I'm looking into getting lights and glow textures working as well. I may start detailing the textures soon too but it's still too soon to tell.

That looks awesome! Can't wait to someday play this map! :D