Model is invisible on the other side

Started by [MK]Padawan Fighter, December 18, 2009, 12:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, I got me a problem  :(

I made this fish model, see?

Looks cool, huh? One problem. On the other side of it, the fins are missing. The fins, actually, are a flat plane with an alpha channel added to it. In XSI, the fins show up fine on both sides, but ingame, it only appears on one side. Can anyone help with this? It will be appreciated :D
"The massive integrated brain of the Internet is deteriorating. Please install backup
brains to prevent deterioration of your Internet brain. Thank you, and we apologize for
the late advice."

-Padawan Fighter

They're single-sided polygons. XSI shows the "back side" of single sided polygons (i.e. inside-out models are still visible). The game does not render this. The best thing to do would probably be to duplicate those faces and invert the normals.

December 18, 2009, 12:58:52 AM #3 Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:28:52 AM by [MK]Padawan Fighter
How?

also, hey look, someone from GT!*waves*

*EDIT* Can anyone help me? How do I do what Mav just said?
"The massive integrated brain of the Internet is deteriorating. Please install backup
brains to prevent deterioration of your Internet brain. Thank you, and we apologize for
the late advice."

-Padawan Fighter

Quote from: [MK]Padawan Fighter on December 18, 2009, 12:58:52 AM*EDIT* Can anyone help me? How do I do what Mav just said?
Select your polygons. Click Ctrl-D (duplicate single mesh component). Click Model->Multiply->Poly Mesh->Invert Polygons.

And why would you even ask this question here rather than at GT?

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21530

I can't double post, and nobody seems to be replying to that topic.
the late advice."

-Padawan Fighter

Not to completely go off-track (since the question is answered anyway), but if you've got some new, pertinent information to add to a topic (or another question), and you don't want to doublepost, then simply copy the contents of your old post, delete it, and then repost your old post as a new post with the new information added in. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I at least didn't/wouldn't have seen your update to your post.

The reason doublepost rules are in place in many forums isn't an arbitrary one, it's there to reduce clutter. If you've got something new and relevant to add, doublepost rules shouldn't be a restriction. Even if you accidentally doublepost for whatever reason, no (competent) staff member should crucify you for a mistake made in good faith. You can always just clear out the older post and make a note to delete it.

Oh and let me know if that works out on your model.

Well...that actually made it worse. It didn't fix the other side, and now the alpha channel is gone on the other side.
the late advice."

-Padawan Fighter