If you buy the game on dvd. Retail. Can you still put mods on it?

Started by dsaf, October 21, 2023, 05:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
If you buy the game on dvd. Retail. Can you still put mods on it?
Works In Progress
Yellow Command Mod (TBA)
Native Dune Sea Mod (TBA)
Backwards Battlefront Mod (TBA)

Yes, nearly all existing mods were designed for the DVD version. The only difference is a limit of about 20 mod maps in the addon folder for the disk versions.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on October 22, 2023, 03:19:15 AMYes, nearly all existing mods were designed for the DVD version. The only difference is a limit of about 20 mod maps in the addon folder for the disk versions.

Can you tell me more about this? Is the limit higher on Steam? Is the limit based on missions or total addons?
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

steam/gog is based on 1.3 beta and has a higher limit of mod maps (I dont recall the number, but more than 100 I believe)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: AnthonyBF2 on October 23, 2023, 06:00:12 PMCan you tell me more about this? Is the limit higher on Steam? Is the limit based on missions or total addons?

Steams is 512 iirc

BF1 1.2's (disk/dvd version) limit for mod map instances is 50.  Mostly we just say 20 because if you have 25 with 2 eras each, then you'll be at the limit (this includes TAT3).

The actual technical reason is that the array isn't big enough and once you hit 50 it just keeps writing over the last entry.  I'm not good enough at assembler to get a bigger spot in memory for it.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

with 1.2 there is a way around the addon limit by writing to the shell or some other way like appending to stock missionlist lua without having to replace shell.
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh