Play steam games via workgroup?

Started by Rayce, February 26, 2015, 01:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Is there any way to share steam on a workgroup, so I don't have download it on both computers?

From what I have found, I think you need to have, at the very least, Steam downloaded on both computers.

If I am misunderstanding you (you have steam on both, just not the game), then this should help you:
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

I still think you have to download the game from the Internet, but you don't have to buy it again using that method.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Could you use remote desktop?  Only problem with that is that the other pc would have to be turned on and not in use.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I thought about that when I posted my response, and thought "That might be too taxing on the computer".  Let's say it isn't, I'm not sure that you can see stuff like DirectX through it.  It's worth a try.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

I've already shared (non-steam) SWBF on the workgroup and it woks fine. I I just can't seem to get steam to work. it shows up on the other computer, but I get an error message when I try to use it. Please note that both computers are running Windows XP SP3 and are connected though a wireless LAN. The two are almost identical hardware-wise. They are the some model (Dell Optiplex GX280), however mine has a slightly better CPU, and the other has a much better graphics card. (Which is the reason I want to play games on that one.)

Can I use my old Avernum 4,5 and 6 saves with the Steam versions of these games? My old saves are from the games bought direct from this site.

In theory if you find the location of any saved game you should be able to copy and paste it to the new location. Steam generally only changes the launch screen.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

July 09, 2015, 04:05:02 PM #8 Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:06:35 PM by Ultimo / Ezekial
Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on July 08, 2015, 11:19:39 AM
In theory if you find the location of any saved game you should be able to copy and paste it to the new location. Steam generally only changes the launch screen.

Online games from Steam (for instance, Counter Strike: Global Offensive) will require you to open the game through Steam to use any online features. I've tried opening CS:GO straight from the .EXE instead of Steam, and was prompted to relaunch through Steam.

Having Steam open before launching the .EXE will not fix the problem, either. The game MUST be launched through Steam.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Make the steam apps folder shared. Then on your second computer log into the host computer and map that folder as a network drive. Should work after that.

#TYBG