...Now What? Please help the noob?

Started by El Chupacabra, March 02, 2009, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok, I downloaded the Unsupported Mod Tools from Filefront .com to do modding with, but I have no idea what to do. Please help, and please don't point and jeer.

"I can has ur goats? pleeze?" (Wikipedia).

*points and jeers*

First, go here and install the BFBuilderProWIP030605.zip, ZeroeditorUpdate122904.zip, ParticleEditorUpdate.zip, and Boundaries_fix.zip.

Next, go into that nice new BFBuilderPro that you just got, and create a new map. name it whatever you want, and then click go. It will seem to freeze for a little while, but it is still going. Eventually it will say done. Now you have an option

1) create a new map. Just click on edit *Whatever the short name is*

2) Create a new mod. Go to sides then Import Retail Side. pick the side to import and it will be in Data*shortname*/Sides and you can start editing. Look in the Documentation folder for some info

After either, just click on Munge *shortname* and it will create a new map in the BFBuilder AddOn folder. For maps, you have the map folder for SWBF's AddOn right there. For mods, it is in the map folder/Data/_lvl_pc/Side. Those files are the files for the mod.

Modding is a very complex subject and there is no guide that tells it all. My recommendation is to go explore the Assets folder and look around at the LUA samples to get an understanding of how those work, look at Sides to learn ODF and REQ. Ignore the MSH files. You can't do anything with them without XSI. look at Shipped Add On to see the FULL source of tat3. It contains the world data as well as the Gammorrean side. Great place to get to know the inner workings of a full new side.

One other thing I did that I am very happy to have done is copy Zeroeditor.exe and config.ini from a mod folder (the one I had you create), and put it in the Shipped Worlds folder. That lets you play around with how a finished map should look like in ZE. Also add one to DataTAT3 in the Shipped Add On since Jabba isn't in the shipped worlds.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

He's a Mac, lol. Those may work on the PC side, but not here. ;)

lol oops :P

Well, thanks anyways. Although I specifically asked for no pointing and jeering.

Quote from: "El Chupacabra"Well, thanks anyways. Although I specifically asked for no pointing and jeering.

Don't fear, The Pi is here! (with mac instructions)

Basically, ignore everything about the downloading stuff. The Documentation is still good to look at. I also recommend still looking at the source for the sides, as it really helps since you have something you know what the outcome is.

Unfortunately, ODF is the only thing relevant to you anymore. Mapping can't be done on mac and forget about any modeling.

First of all, make a backup of the Shipped sides folder in assets. this will save you much stress in the long run.

To start a mod, first copy over the folder of the team you want to base your mod off of

REP = Clones
CIS = Droids
IMP = Empire
ALL = Rebels
DES = Jawas/Tusken Raiders
EWK = Ewoks
GAR = Nabbo Guards (used in Story Mode)
GEO = Geonocians
GUN = Gungans
SNW = Wampas (never implemented - contains no animations, bodies, or ODF files)
WOK = Wookies (used in Story Mode)

Poke around in the ODF files and the Documentation to learn how to use them.

After you make the copy of the team folder, you need to go into the folder properties and make sure it isn't read only. I don't suggest doing this to the original Assets folder since we don't want any accidents (that's why I made you make a backup)

After you do some editing to the ODFs, send them to a full PC modder. Please only send files that you have changed, including any of the images used that you changed (will get to that in a minute), as the full side sources are around 50 megs (most of that is in the MSH files), and nobody wants to waste 20 minutes uploading a mod that crashes when loaded. After you send the changed sources off to a modder, you wait until we work our magic on the files and send you back the new LVLs (if you're nice we'll even make sure that the mod works)

Again, if you have any questions or need a mod compiled, feel free to drop me a PM

Also, if you don't want pointing and jeering then don't say anything about pointing and jeering. It works surprisingly well.

uhh... ok??

aww, did the little chupacabra get confusled by the big pi *points and jeers*

Just look around in the files that came in the mod tools

Also, just to make sure, please unzip the mod tools FIRST

March 03, 2009, 01:00:21 AM #8 Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:25:34 PM by Buckler
dont know if this is of any use:

http://www.thisiswar.co.uk/temp/Star_Wa ... t_Tutl.chm

edit by buckler:  Link is broken. If anyone has this file let me know.

The tutorial I used when first learning

again, that's a PC instruction. Also, the file is corrupted

it works fine for me! I'll upload the file again and if you can try again that would be good!

It's uploaded again!

.chm files are windows help files and as such won't work on a mac. Also, that's for mapping, so it wouldn't do much good anyway, I think.

Try looking in the GT SWBF forum- //http://www.gametoast.com/forums. There's a really good side editing tutorial in the All things SWBF forum. It's what got me started.

However, almost all tutorials will be based on PC, so they will be a bit confusing. Sorry there really isn't a good tutorial up right now :(

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

OK, that sorta makes sense. Thanks to all the contributors, although it still sorta breaks me head. And for the wish post, I WIsh I hadn't mentioned pointing and jeering.