Star Wars Battlefront EA Reboot: New forum?

Started by Led, July 07, 2013, 07:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 07, 2013, 07:51:39 AM Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:11:20 AM by Buckler
I have learned that my web site hosting package supports the ability for me to create separate forums, as long as they are a sub-domain of our SWBFgamers.com domain.

For example, I already made a test website: http://pla.swbfgamers.com/index.php

Here is my question for discussion:
-should we have a new forum for the EA reboot of SWBF?  or fold the new SWBF into this one?

And a few of my thoughts: 
This website has a very specific niche, and I intend to keep it going for a long time--but at some point, the interest in the original SWBF will be zero, or close to it.  At that point, I can leave the site up as an archive, or maybe a memorial :P

Do web forums make sense anymore these days anyway?  Facebook, reddit, twitter, and what ever else comes along make it easy to form groups.  (A plus for forums, in my opinion, is that the NSA would have to hack this website or capture all of our traffic to get our information, unlike FB which I suspect sells it to them--or gives it away pretty readily.)

From an administrative point of view, we can start fresh with new forum software and plugins, and design our own site if we go to a new forum.  If we make a new one, what would the name be?  EAreboot.SWBFgamers.com, battlefront.*.*, thenewbattlefront.*.*, etc.

My experience with forums (and it's not a ton) is that with every change, someone gets left behind or leaves--and I would hate for that to happen, so I want to hear everyone's thoughts.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I think it should depend on how similar the new battlefront is to the first two. If its completely different then a new forum would make sense. If similar then maybe just have its own board. I'd wait to see more info about the game before making a definitive call on the board or forum name.

Quote from: Phobos on July 07, 2013, 08:05:23 AM
I'd wait to see more info about the game before making a definitive call on the board or forum name.

Heh, I know it is a long way off.  But I got a little bored  ;)

I just realised I've written an essay on this so the short answer is it depends on the new game and what Led wants to do. :)
[spoiler]My thoughts;
This site needs very few changes, even if 90% of users leave I would like to see it left up as is.
I think the new battlefronts site should also be called SWBFgamers.com as it is a good name.
Longer web addresses are annoying. I use this one by typing it directly.
People will always use forums but with a new game there is a risk of it becoming too big and ruining what we have here.
From a slightly selfish point of view having the 2 sites together could bring a few people back to the original game.

None of that really gives a solution so I suppose it depends on 2 main questions;
Would a new site/forum be for those of us already here who want to discuss the new battlefront or would it be a whole new site for everyone who plays the new game?
Will the new battlefront be any good? If we and more importantly Led don't like it there is no point spending money on a new site.

In an ideal world the new game will be brilliant and SWBFgamers will be aimed towards that game with a similar layout to now and a portal to this forum as it is.[/spoiler] 
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

July 07, 2013, 08:43:31 AM #4 Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:45:55 AM by {Alpha}Gold Man
My thoughts on this are mixed. However I agree with Phobos, we should wait for more information about the game. If it does withhold some of the SWBF nostalgia we know and love from the first two games, then I could see having a separate board would be appropriate. If however the gameplay (which I've a feeling about) will be like a CoD/BF/Halo mashup, then expect the same people in those popular gaming communities in your new forum site. In other words, not the kind of people you see here. :P

Though as I stated above, we should definitely wait for more information about the game before we make such a move.

EDIT: Thanks for noticing that, Unit. :D

I think we should wait on further details, at the moment quite a few of us are hinged on how this game turns out.

[EDIT]
Oh Goldman just reiterated the point.

I think once we got gameplay and some more information, go for it. Though maybe you can start planning, maybe get a few ideas going.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

July 07, 2013, 08:57:11 AM #7 Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:00:07 AM by Buckler
Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on July 07, 2013, 08:34:22 AM

Would a new site/forum be for those of us already here who want to discuss the new battlefront or would it be a whole new site for everyone who plays the new game?
Will the new battlefront be any good? If we and more importantly Led don't like it there is no point spending money on a new site.

In an ideal world the new game will be brilliant and SWBFgamers will be aimed towards that game with a similar layout to now and a portal to this forum as it is.

I would envision a place for us as well as new people that would play the new game.

I can't imagine the new game would be bad, but I bet it's going to be different.  I suspect that a lot of things that attract us to this game will not be in the new one (modding, for example).

The cost is actually zero (above the minimal cost to run this forum) aside from a little time to set it up, unless we went with a fancier paid forum software (even then, it is minimal in the scheme of things).

Are there forums for TF2 players, or COD players?  (other than Steam and game sponsored forums).

Maybe another reason why this forum still thrives is that there is no other option for game support--official LucasArts forums were woeful to start with, and other unofficial forums have died off.

edit:
OK, I see the posts about waiting, so that is what we shall do.  (I have a broken foot, so instead of doing things like mowing the lawn on the weekends, I am spending more time at the computer looking for something to do :P )

Ea has its own forums. Most people would go there.
Not everyone joins thos communties gm, I play hao and bf, but im not in any communitiy related to either of them -_-
The hardcore people will most likely go to ea, and its likely that the more casual like people would come here. Also, a lot of people would be discouraged by the "no swearing " rule. While I dont necessarly support it yet, im not saying its a bad Idea.

Planning ahead is a good thing.

If you do start another forum for the new Battlefront, you will then be the head of the LedNetwork of sites, and could come up with a link module on the portal that connects the two. :P

Since the new game is so far off, it's a great time to start tossing concepts around and gathering a folder of research material. (screens, vids, dev interviews, ect..) Not for content, but to help identify features and elements that may define sections and topics.  Since it's all speculation right now, that may be difficult.

If the game tuns out to have no modding support, then all it would need is basic gameplay, strategy, and clan type sections. I'm not sure that would be enough to warrant it's own board, but I may be completely underestimating it.

If interest (and traffic) is great enough, then the flow of new posts regarding SWBF and NSWBF might get a little confusing on the 'Recent Unread Topics' page.

Sorry to hear about your foot. Hope it heals fast and strong, man.

I think how we have things now is great. Perhaps in the future we could change it but hey, the man with the broken foot is the one with all the cash! Let him do as he will. ;)

I'd say just make a new category here. But I'm sure it will be very different from SWBF1 and 2. So if you do want to make a new forum for it, and have nothing else to do, might as well do some work on the new forum and get it ready for the newcomers. As soon as this game comes out we need to be finding out about dedicated servers, modding, and getting SWBFGamers.com out there.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Just having a section dedicated to news in the current forums I think would be a good idea. I know I for one, would come around more just to see discussions and news on it. I mean it's Star Wars Battlefront, even if it is a vastly different game (being a reboot) it still is a SWBF game. So I think that right there is a good reason to host a page on it.

I wouldn't split the forums up just because the games are different, I mean they are all in the same series just different years and devs, etc. At least a news page would be cool, cause that is all we have to go off of right now.
photobucket limit image removed