Windows 10 and SWBF patch installation--any issues

Started by Led, October 25, 2015, 09:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
One of our Youtube commenters wanted to know if there were any differences in the patch instructions for windows 10. 

I do not have it--so if anyone does, please let me know your experience with the:

-auto installer

-hosts file edit

-manual install method

:cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I just installed Star Wars: Battlefront, on my new Windows 10 laptop today. Battlefront installed and ran fine natively on the computer. I attempted to install the patch manually, by moving the GameMaster battlefront.exe into the GameData folder, but whenever I tried to run the exe, it asked for a cd, which I already had in the computer. The patched exe is also suppose to be no CD patched. I had read online that Windows issued an update, on all computers with the operating systems 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 that had messed with the CD check functionality, I have witnessed this problem first hand with a couple of older games. I'm not sure if this is the same problem or not. In the end, I just updated my hosts file and was able to access the servers just fine.
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

Bump,

SWBF1 will run fine on Windows 10, having issues with SWBF2 however. The game will boot up, however whenever trying to play a map, the game will never load and simply black screen, preventing the use of Task Manager to effectively close the application, thereby forcing the user to restart the system.

Do note however that this is the CD copy, and my rig uses a Ryzen 7 CPU, so it could be an optimization issue on my end.

June 04, 2017, 07:12:26 AM #3 Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:24:55 AM by Shaking_Sniper
Note:Sorry if this post looks like it was shared by two users but I'm just to lazy to re-read my post for the 19nth time for some more editing.Please keep all the hate (fake,I hope) to yourselves.Or just tell one of the Mods to delete this.

I would recomend the manual installation by replacing the original exe with the Gamemaster(renamed to Battlefront.exe).Windows 10 should have no differences with installing the patch to SWBF 1 ,though there might be some problems with the auto-installer.

Personality 2:
Quote from: Norwood on October 26, 2015, 08:21:38 AM
I just installed Star Wars: Battlefront, on my new Windows 10 laptop today. Battlefront installed and ran fine natively on the computer. I attempted to install the patch manually, by moving the GameMaster battlefront.exe into the GameData folder, but whenever I tried to run the exe, it asked for a cd, which I already had in the computer. The patched exe is also suppose to be no CD patched. I had read online that Windows issued an update, on all computers with the operating systems 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 that had messed with the CD check functionality, I have witnessed this problem first hand with a couple of older games. I'm not sure if this is the same problem or not. In the end, I just updated my hosts file and was able to access the servers just fine.

I know this is for recounting your problems with Windows 10 and I'm a Mac user,but coudn't help but read this Thread topic.Concerning the Gamemaster exe It would be better to rename the exe to Battlefront.exe and replace the old one.Then you can launch from the actual application icon instead of from the exe and/or making a shortcut.Unless, for what ever reason, you would like to keep the original exe.

Next,The Gamemaster exe is not patched for no cd,unless you have the DvD copy of SWBF(judging by Led's posts,has no DRM).The only way to get it working without a CD is using a no cd crack (which is technically illegal,confirmed by Led,again) and launching the game,then Replacing the no cd exe (battlefront.exe) with the renamed Gamemaster.exe.

I'm sorry that this (part) post is unnecessary and not even related to this topic,but there are moments when you want to unload you knowledge on the world,ya know?

Delete post if you wish...
Generic Sig goes here

Well, he's talking about SWBF2.  To my knowledge I really don't think SWBF2 has ever had DRM, but I will allow the possibility that it may have.  And it is best to post tested solutions, but thanks for your thoughts.   :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet