Modding a mod

Started by JoshAttosh, March 07, 2021, 08:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 07, 2021, 08:09:49 PM Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:15:42 PM by JoshAttosh
So I'm fairly new to the SWBF2 modding community. I've been playing the game since it's release in 2005, but have taken to playing it on PC these days. I downloaded an infection mod and it works as intended. The problem is: It seems to have attached itself specifically to Tantive IV, so you can only play the game mode on that one specific map. I was wondering if there was a way for me to go into the "zmb.lvl" and edit it to make it run on multiple maps, or if I would just have to recreate the mod entirely/download some other version where the creators actually made it compatible with other maps. Below I attached what the inside of file looks like. the "zmb.lvl" is presumably what is attaching the game mode to "tan.lvl" As removing "tan.lvl" will not stop the game mode from being assigned to that map, it just causes the map to not load after you've gotten to character selection upon starting the game.

Edit: So I now realize this is on the wrong forum, but I have no clue how to delete this post and add it to the correct forum. Please be patient I am learning to navigate this site.

The level files have various purposes:  maps, units (sides), mission, and some others.

The mission file is the key.  It calls the map and sides lvl files as well as some other items.

It is possible to use a side lvl file for other maps.  You would need to know what those units are called so you can use them in your own custom mission.lvl file.  You might be able to see what they called by hex editing the existing mission.lvl file.

Start with obtaining the appropriate mod tools package and learn how to make a new mission.  Us or Gametoast.com could has tutorials.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet