[SOLVED] Obj and bmp to tga and .msh

Started by Kroete, May 26, 2020, 10:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 26, 2020, 10:20:31 AM Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:09:29 AM by Unit 33
I'm trying to use a model of a spaceship that uses the .obj, .mtl and .bmp file formats but it isn't working out. The Models come out either untextured or invisible(transparent?). I tried it for the last few days but can't really find any fitting threads online. Im relatively new to modding so any help would be appreciated. Im not trying to use the Models as vehicles yet, just as props for now.

My Proccess of converting:
[spoiler]I'm using a Blender Plugin to convert the bmp to tga (They also keep their original size this way). I then edit the .mtl file so that the Model uses the .tga. I use Wings3d to export the .obj to vrml (.wrl). I then try use the SWBF Viewer to export them as .msh but they come out untextured or are invisible.[/spoiler]

Images of my results:

https://prnt.sc/so8m19

https://prnt.sc/so8jx5

the latter pic reminds me of when the model rejects the tga for being formatted incorrectly; so just an obvious question, when saving the .tga are you ensuring that the checkbox for compression is off?

I'm not exactly sure whats meant by compression, but i think this "Keep Original Resolution" in the Plugin i'm using is similar. I have it ticked every time i use it. Is there any other Program i can use to convert bmp to tga? The Blender plugin is called Batch Converter and i'm using an older version of Blender (2.74)

i'd typically use an image editor whenever dealing with converting image formats (photoshop), if you upload it here, I can take a look at it?

May 26, 2020, 01:41:16 PM #4 Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:43:10 PM by Kroete
Quote from: Unit 33 on May 26, 2020, 11:47:39 AM
if you upload it here, I can take a look at it?

I don't think i can attach .bmp files so i uploaded it to Google Drive

It's the original file from the model

16mb, blimey!

perhaps try this small tga version?

(attached below)

May 26, 2020, 05:02:16 PM #6 Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:06:51 PM by Kroete
Thank you so much! Its still transparent in the Zero Editor but it works ingame so it doesnt really matter. Again thank you so much because I spent way too much time trying to figure it out by myself before this thread.
I can also now view the .wrl in the SWBF Viewer and the .tga in a tga viewer which i couldn't before

It's a bit small but i think i can fix that by exporting it with the scale set at 1.5 or something

Quote from: Unit 33 on May 26, 2020, 02:36:36 PM

perhaps try this small tga version?

May i ask how you did that?
Was is it with photoshop?

Nice!

Sure you can probably get away with it being 1024x1024.

In Photoshop I opened the .bmp, scaled it down and chose the option 'Save As' choosing the option 'tga'.
At this point a dialogue box pops up with 'Targa Options'

I chose 24 bits/pixel and ensured the checkbox for compression (RLE) was off.

I expect if you're using a free image editing program like Gimp you would be provided the same options.