Mod Map Server 3/30

Started by Dark_Phantom, March 23, 2014, 10:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 23, 2014, 10:44:59 AM Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:50:26 AM by Dark_Phantom
I can set this up next weekend also with a little bit more planning.

It's been a while since I've set up a mod map server so please bear with me.  Please say some maps you would like to see and I will try to accommodate them.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

It would be nice to try some newer releases. Maybe Polar express and Snakes Hyperion, although I'm not sure if they work online.
Otherwise anything from the ICW and Eddies Italia (singleplayer version is the most used I think) which is an old favourite of mine for gameplay. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on March 23, 2014, 12:11:21 PM
It would be nice to try some newer releases. Maybe Polar express and Snakes Hyperion, although I'm not sure if they work online.
Otherwise anything from the ICW and Eddies Italia (singleplayer version is the most used I think) which is an old favourite of mine for gameplay. :)

Actually, me and Shazam tried the Hyperion maps a while back, they work fine in multiplayer. Speaking of which, those maps might just bring me back to SWBF. :)

I've only played the Hyperion maps in multiplayer, they work great. So there's another thumbs up.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this event..

Id like the Hyperion maps too, but I may not be able to play unless I can get a new laptop before then (My current one is on its last legs :( )
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

So far:
Hyperion 1 and 2 (Great maps)
Rhen Var: Frozen Corridor (I had never played this one, it's a nice map)
Eddie's Italia

Possible others (or future map nights):
Sereja's maps
Polar Express OC (I'll have to work on this unless someone else has one already made)
Otoh Gunga (Currently working on with Sereja's permission and a couple suggestions he wanted)

Other maps I'm considering:
Eddie's Maps (Death Star, etc.)
Jai Nollan (love this map)

Any more suggestions?

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Note that serejas maps don't usually work for MP.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

SUCKS I CANT GO, I LOST MY PANTS :xmastim:

Quote from: Led on March 26, 2014, 10:22:43 AM
Note that serejas maps don't usually work for MP.

That's why I'm working on them :)
I don't know if they will be ready for this Sunday or not.  I'll try to keep everyone updated.

If it helps, I've messed with them a bit trying to isolate the issues.

It seems to be the effects in his custom common.lvl that really overload my game. The sides are a bit detailed, but as long as the effects are reduced, they should be fine.

I just hope you can somehow reduce the power needed via the FX editor to render the great effects he has, they really are spectacular (I'm pretty sure he released his common.lvl assets somewhere, not sure)

Of course the maps are way complex with as many objects with great detailed meshes they each have, but that is what cannot really be sacrificed.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on March 26, 2014, 02:00:13 PM
That's why I'm working on them :)
I don't know if they will be ready for this Sunday or not.  I'll try to keep everyone updated.
Typically it's any class with more than four weapons that causes problems. Get rid of that and eliminate any other bugs SPTest tells you of and you should be good to go.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on March 26, 2014, 02:53:48 PM
If it helps, I've messed with them a bit trying to isolate the issues.

It seems to be the effects in his custom common.lvl that really overload my game. The sides are a bit detailed, but as long as the effects are reduced, they should be fine.

I just hope you can somehow reduce the power needed via the FX editor to render the great effects he has, they really are spectacular (I'm pretty sure he released his common.lvl assets somewhere, not sure)
I really find it unlikely that it is the effects causing problems in multiplayer. The particles won't even exist server side and I've yet to see a particle overload cause a crash. I have seen it cause drastic FPS drop of course, but that is a sign of too many draw calls happening on the clients computer as a rule. Also what custom effects exactly? The only ones I ever noticed were ordnance impacts and those alone would hardly be enough to cause major problems.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando-Of course the maps are way complex with as many objects with great detailed meshes they each have, but that is what cannot really be sacrificed.
The server doesn't actually care about the complexity of geometry, all it cares about is the collision primitives and geometry. I don't think this is an issue likely to cause a map to be unstable in MP. Sure it'll cause a few peoples FPS to drop, but that can probably be solved by them setting their view distance to be extremely low.

SK to the rescue :P I don't believe anything would get done around here if you weren't here to find out what's really wrong

It usually doesn't just crash for me, I usually just lag so much until it completely freezes and have to exit the old fashion way.. By ending the process (do note I play them with all visual settings set to the minimum).
-- I haven't crashed or froze up on the Polar Express map, and I've played it quite a few times in a row with max settings, but also notice that none of the units make excessive use of weapons per unit either, so there's that.

I do wonder why many weapons is such a bit issue, doesn't really seem like that big a deal to me..

Quote from: -RepublicCommando-I do wonder why many weapons is such a bit issue, doesn't really seem like that big a deal to me..
I think it goes something like this. Player tries to switch to weapon five in multiplayer, tells the server it wants to switch to weapon five, the server checks out it's player object and tries to set it's weapon to it's fifth one. This is when the problem happens I think. According to the server the player doesn't have five weapons, the player only has four. What happens after this is anyone's guess. But we know the client does crash, so something goes wrong and the game doesn't know how to recover.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on March 26, 2014, 04:01:09 PM
I do wonder why many weapons is such a bit issue, doesn't really seem like that big a deal to me..
Ahh, here we go.  Multiplayer = less flexible than single player.  Hard coded limitations are so wonderful.

I was contemplating what weapons to take away... They are all awesome.  (I did realize that Sereja made almost all of his mods have 5 weapons).

It would be interesting to have Nar Shaddaa Multiplayer but that's going to be a little bit more extensive at first I believe.  Stock sides I guess at first and then work from there.  The other levels shouldn't be much of an issue.