[WIP] Naboo: City of Theed

Started by Sereja, December 11, 2016, 09:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Wow that map is absolutely astonishing :) brilliant work! The above post also interests me and likely many others, I would also be interested to know and I believe it is the case but does anybody know if BF2 is under exactly the same restrictions? I believe they are both on the same engine, but the limits could have been increased, I haven't looked into it yet.

Also is there any chance you would be making this map for BF2 as well? if not, I am currently learning to make maps and port BF1 maps to BF2 once completed, could I have your permission to convert this map to BF2 also?

Thank you in advance for your reply as well as your hard work and dedication, those glass windows / hallways and pillars look stunning :D and the area where Qui-Gon / Darth Maul battle! Absolutely breathtaking!

Thor110
"A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal!" - Gray Fox

Thanks! :)

I won't convert the map to the SWBF2, but perhaps will release assets for anyone who wish to try. Anyway I need to finish it at least for SWBF1 first.
Quote from: Idren on September 26, 2017, 11:26:55 AM
Sereja I'm curious about the poly counts for some of your interiors and how many objects you use for a large building (interior and exterior) - do you break up the building into several smaller objects?  :g:

Can you give us your own suggested poly limits? I know the ones psych0fred gave with the documentation, but I suspect that you know the true limits of the game better.  :cheers:

these are from the BFBuilder Documentation:
     Polygon Count Limits (general guidelines):
     Props - 0 - 500 polys
     Buildings - 200 - 3000 polys (the higher end of this spectrum represents large buildings with large interiors)
     Vehicles - 1500 - 2000 polys
     Characters - 1500 - 2000 polys

Can you give us an update? Something like:
     Polygon Count Limits (SEREJA'S GUIDELINESS):
     Props:
     Buildings:
     Vehicles:
     Characters:

Thanks in advance if you end up seeing this! Your maps are an incredible inspiration!  :tu:
Well, if creator say such parameters are optimal, so it is. I never realy pay much attention at polys count, but If the building is too complicated, I usualy just riping it apart and then connect parts in ZE. If such buildings are many - I have to sacrifice long range view, or the game will be slow. Perhaps that's all guide I may really tell about the models. For this map most comlicated was model of the staircase interrior. It takes about 6360 triangles (I guess polys it's the same).

The secondary arch is ready. Not sure if this huge walker will be in final version (AI are very bad drivers) but looks fun. Can't say the same about MTT - seems like it's too fatty for my arches and can't passing thru them. Must be such size trick works only in SWBF EA.  :shrug:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Some refresh of the naboo sides:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Perhaps they will take places of the rebels and\or clones. I am not sure yet whose will be fired this time. :P
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Looking good there, Sereja!

If you keep the walker in, I did an 'improved' version of it here.

You're also free to use any of the weapons or models I've released. I know I'd love to see some of the guns I have made put to good use :)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

I even see some DOF here, dang it. I can't wait.  :P
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Sereja I just want you to know that I'm not too excited for EA's SWBF2 but I'm VERY EXCITED for your Theed!! I literally check this almost every day to see if it's closer to release! It's worth the wait I'm sure.

It'd be cool as far as extra mission.lvls to have B1 Battle Droids and Droidekas VS Naboo guards. That way you don't have to choose cause I like the idea of Naboo Guards VS Empire but also classic Clones VS Droids.
:)

Sereja, Ginev recently had a similar problem re: collision on his "Tatooine First Assault" conversion map.

http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33241

It seems there is indeed an upper limit per mesh for collision primitives but if you use collision meshes instead you can bypass this.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Actually i do not have problems with the collision primitives.I have problems with the model count limit for map.For example let say i put 300 models on my map and if i put one more model my map stuck on loading screen.Thats my problem.I cannot continue my map so i need help.

This looks amazing Sereja! Keep up the good work. Any time frame for release yet ???

Is the mod dead?

Anyway, Sereja, here I found some info of naboo that I think might help, surely you've already checked this out: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/preq/naboo.html
Greetings.

Quote from: FierceSnake on October 21, 2017, 10:13:46 PM
Is the mod dead?

Anyway, Sereja, here I found some info of naboo that I think might help, surely you've already checked this out: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/preq/naboo.html
Greetings.

I doubt it's dead, Sereja's maps take a lot of time to make because of the quality.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on October 22, 2017, 09:38:24 AM
I doubt it's dead, Sereja's maps take a lot of time to make because of the quality.

Indeed.  I can't imagine the hours it takes to craft those props, not to mention the units, ODFs, and map.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Yup.I havent worked on my First Assault map for 4 days.Suddenly i lost motivation.But slowly slowly i will finish it.

Since this mod isn't dead yet, I have some fresh news about it.
The big bridge was deleted because of design issue and big walker discarded, since there is nowhere to walk for him now. Everything else works fine to me, and I guess the map is ready for play. The approximate time of creation is about 1 year so it should be really quality map. I didn't make any alternative mission this time, but you may have a chance to play as Naboo Guards, Clones, Droids and Stormtroopers. I guess there is no big reason to add any other fraction.

Perhaps now I may send the link to anyone who whish to test it. I mostly need to know if it crash\freeze during loading screen at other PC. So if somebody wish to try found some new bug in new map - PM me.

So, having payed around a bit, here's my thoughts:

Pros:
-As always, top-notch work on the map. I really felt like this had come straight from the movie, a lot of the architecture is that accurate. The generator room and the hangar in particular (and they're miles better than the SWBF2 Theed Hangar map from a few years back), and the palace is really nice too.
-I feel the sides are well put-together. No unit felt unjustly overpowered.
-Having the Naboo Guard instead of the Alliance was a nice touch.

Cons:
-The main terrain street texture bugs out on anything other than low setting: it goes blue. I haven't noticed this with the grass terrain texture.
-AI starfighters just love flying into the hangar :P Though I suspect there's not an awful lot that can be done about that.
-It seems more difficult for either the Republic or the Empire to win on this map. It's odd with the Republic because they have the Naboo Guard helping them. Maybe add some more reinforcements to the Republic's side (as they have 100 less). As for the Empire, I think that's more likely to be luck of the draw more than anything else on the matches I played as there were moments where the Royal Guards were losing and I was taking in the scenery more than I was joining in.
-I know there's an issue with detail but the main arcade seems really empty. Maybe a few crates stacked around the arcade might make it look less so.
-I'm not sure why but the music streams in the GCW era are all in mono.

Al in all, a solid, highly enjoyable effort. Once this comes out of beta stage, I personally think this one is worth every player adding to their addon list, it is definitely one of the best maps for SWBF to be made. A lot of care and attention to detail went into this, and it shows. So good job on it, Sereja.  :tu:
In Progress:

On Hold:

Thanks. There was also really hard work to find images with all real props from the film.
Quote-The main terrain street texture bugs out on anything other than low setting: it goes blue. I haven't noticed this with the grass terrain texture.
The grass texture doesn't have bump texture. Perhaps that's why it is not blue (for your PC). Seems your videocard makes bump terrrain looks weird. The same was at your Scarif map, if I remember. It's hard to find some bump option parameters compatible for all video cards...
Quote-It seems more difficult for either the Republic or the Empire to win on this map. It's odd with the Republic because they have the Naboo Guard helping them. Maybe add some more reinforcements to the Republic's side (as they have 100 less).
Ah, yes I didn't spot the side count odds. They all should be about 500. (will be fixed).
Quote-I'm not sure why but the music streams in the GCW era are all in mono.
That's because GCW have my custom music, but CW is not. I never make custom stereo music streams, since I am use tutorial for making it in mono only. :shrug: