Sereja's Adding SWBF2 Unit Animation for SWBF1 Tutorial.

Started by Sereja, July 29, 2014, 06:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sereja's Adding SWBF2 Unit Animation for SWBF1 Tutorial.

So, you need to add an animation from SWBF2? No problem... Well, actualy there is problem: only one free slot, named GAM, can be available, plus it's suitable for melee weapon only (no targeting pose). Are the many SWBF2 anims could be ported at once? Sure, but in this case, stock SWBF1 animation, have to be replaced.
Let's try to add a new animation for Darth Vader for example.

1.  Open the next folder:
C:\BFBuilder\Assets\Shipped Common Animations

2. Copy Human_Bank_1 folder, and place it in to the next direction:
C:\BFBuilder\Data\Common\Animations

3.  Open the next folder:
C:\BF2_ModTools\assets\Animations\SoldierAnimationBank\vader
You may see a list of Darth Vader anims. Not all of them realy useful for SWBF1, so choose carefuly. Mostly, it's should be:
1. shoot
2. idle
3. walk
4. run.

4. Choose and copy:
vader_sabre_stand_attack1a_full.msh
vader_sabre_stand_idle_emote_full.msh
vader_sabre_stand_walkforward_full.msh
vader_sabre_stand_runforward_full.msh

5. Paste them in to the next folder:
C:\BFBuilder\Data\Common\Animations\Human_Bank_1

6. We already know, the game, can accept only specific list of the GAM animation, so how it's should be named?
Open the next folder:
C:\BFBuilder\Assets\Shipped Add On\DataTAT3\Common\Animations\gam_inf_gamorreanguard
You may see a list of possible new addon animation names. So, now you need to rename your

vader_sabre_stand_attack1a_full.msh
vader_sabre_stand_idle_emote_full.msh
vader_sabre_stand_walkforward_full.msh
vader_sabre_stand_runforward_full.msh

in to the

human_gam_stand_shoot.msh
human_gam_stand_idle_emote.msh
human_gam_stand_walkforward.msh
human_gam_stand_runforward.msh

7. Now, in the folder
C:\BFBuilder\Data\Common\Animations\Human_Bank_1
you have to find bat file, named munged, and click on it.

8. Open the next folder:
C:\BFBuilder\Data\Common\munged
There, you have to find 2 new created files, named

human_animation_1.zaabin
human_animation_1.zafbin

and cut them.

9. Now, open your Interface Tool. If you do not have it, it's realy bad, specialy at this stage of the process, but here goes nothing... So let's imagine, you have it, and we may continue this travel anyway.
Open the next folder:
C:\Interface\Data\Common\munged
and paste

human_animation_1.zaabin
human_animation_1.zafbin

Perhaps, you need to backup stock ones first.

10. Open the next folder:
C:\Interface
Find there a bat file, named common, and click on it. Press any key, when popup window stop run.

11. Open the next folder:
C:\Interface\_LVL_PC\Common\ENG
If everything done correct, you should find there a new created common.lvl.

12. Copy your new custom common.lvl, and paste it, in to the next folder:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\Common\ENG
You should back up the stock common.lvl first!

Actualy, as alternative, you also may add new custom common.lvl in to your custom map folder, in direction like this:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\AddOn\MapID\Data\_lvl_pc\COMMON
In this case, you have to add this line, in to your Mission LUA:
--end soundlvl
ReadDataFile("dc:COMMON\\common.lvl");
-- Start sidelvls

13. Open Darth Vader's weapon .odf (usualy it's imp_weap_lightsaber), and add instead of stock, next line:
AnimationBank       = "gam"

14. Munge your map, and test. If everything done correct, Darth Vader, should have his new animation.
Enjoy! :)
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

So the only spare animation bank in the game is the "gam" bank, correct? Would this also mean you cannot have Darth Vader in the same level as the real Gammorean Guards too?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

July 31, 2014, 06:47:58 AM #2 Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:44:18 AM by MileHighGuy
I have found that you don't need to make a new common.lvl if you're just replacing the "gam" animation. Its how I set up my yoda (in sig). With other animations you do.

Also, dont forget you can add new firing animations if you set them up so you can use FireAnim = "1"

EDIT: yes ggctuk that is correct, you can still have a large custom skeleton tho, and you can replace the jedi animation (with the bf2 one) in the common.lvl instead.

Does this mean that while you can only load one "gam" bank at a time, you can have separate anim banks in common.lvl containing those "gam" banks? (IE you wanted several heroes in the game to have custom animations so you have to create different zafbin files for each unit)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

It should also be mentioned that as well as this, you can actually add 9pose animations for things like the BARC Speeder and AT-RT to the game. Those animations must be placed in Human Bank 1 to work.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Is it possible for a weapon to have a "Backup" animation bank like you can in SWBF2? (IE making "dual pistol" animations using the gam bank and then using the stock pistol animations as backup for the animations left out)

Quote from: SerejaThe animation, is from stock BF2 wampa. BF1 have only one free slot for new anim, named GAM. So, I am just add one of the BF2 wampa strike, when edit common.lvl.
If you take my common.lvl, from Polar Express map, and edit weapon odf by add animation name - "GAM", you will got the "zombie walkings".

Well, for now, it's possible only to made different anim for each eras, because of COMMON folder trick, or replace any BF1 stock anim (could be useful if you made jedi only fighting map), but Mission LUA, can't recognize more then one COMMON folder. :(
Yes, I think, gam anim slot, stored in exe, and you also can see it, if you open exe with HEX editor, and click search for "gam". It is there, just like all list of the other possible anim names.

Very nice tutorial I'll be testing various animations soon to see what works best for zombies on the new map. BTW would it be possible to override the animation limit by using ODF code like this?

imp_walk_atat.odf
//HACK to add "imp_walk_atat1" to the req file
AnimationExtraFile = "imp_walk_atat1"

AnimationExtraFile is exclusive to the commandwalker class, so probably not.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: ggctuk2005 on October 16, 2014, 12:12:09 AM
AnimationExtraFile is exclusive to the commandwalker class, so probably not.
that's too bad, if only we knew a way to add unsupported properties to various classlabels..

I'm wondering if it's possible to add the "idle_emote" from BF2's lightsabre animation bank to SWBF1's. It's not a 'new' animation as such, but the lightsaber idle animation in SWBF1 draws from the pistol or tool animation bank
In Progress:

On Hold:

(yes i know the tutorial is old but this is important)

Can someone go to Gametoast (if you can) and get the Battlefront 2 tutorial for adding custom animations since i can't go inside Gametoast to get it on my own. :)