The Last Jedi [Spoilers]

Started by Black Water, December 15, 2017, 11:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
What did you guys think about the latest Star Wars Movie, The Last Jedi?

My thoughts:

Snoke died way too easily. I was disappointed, I expected to see him fight and was looking forward to seeing him in the rest of the trilogy. In addition, he had almost no background information. Who was he before TFA? The answer to this question was the main reason I watched TLJ.

They didn't give enough information about the Jedi defectors who joined Kylo Ren, which I suspect were the Knights of Ren. It would have been cool to see them but I'm guessing we'll be seeing them in the next movie.

Please tell me what Kylo Ren said about Rey's parents was false. I'm hoping there's more to it.

I almost puked when I saw Leia survive the space battle and slowly fly towards the ship. Seriously, there was no need for this. It would have been the perfect way to finish her off. RIP Admiral Ackbar, you'll be missed.

At the beginning, General Hux's scenes were way too comedic. Some comedy is good but they were annoying about it. He's a general for christ sake. When did we ever see this incompetent side from the Empire? We didn't.

Captain Phasma... where do I start?

At the very least, the movie wasn't too similar with TESB.

Those are pretty much my only negative thoughts on the movie. I thought the smuggler guy would be like another Han Solo since he only cared about himself. But I don't think Han Solo would ever go to those lengths. I almost teared up when I saw Finn flying into the destroyer thing, the writers did a really good job with that one, although I would have preferred that either he or Rose died. I also liked the little matching necklace Rose had with her sister. Her sacrifice was a beauty to watch, along with Vice Admiral Holdo, whom I initially thought was a traitor. She showed Poe how courageous she actually was. Chewbacca eating one of those Prog's was hilarious. The little kid at the end was a nice touch.

All in all, it wasn't horrible, but it could have been better.

I thought it was a brilliant film, really well made and I like the way it looked like they were going to rip off the empire strikes back then went in a completely different direction. Also really liked the battle scenes in this one.

Just in case anyone opens this by accident :
[spoiler]I agree about the leia bit, I think it could have been handled better and snoke was wasted. Only bits I actually hated though were how small it makes the galaxy seem and the way they ruined lukes trick by pointlessly killing him after.
[/spoiler]
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I think this was like most Star Wars films in the sense that you'll have to see it twice in order to form a complete opinion of it. I have a feeling that it's a film people will either grow to love or hate. On my first viewing I'd say it's much better than the Force Awakens and it proved that some of the new cast might have potential to be great characters after all. Here's my new ranking:

9. The Phantom Menace
8: The Force Awakens
7: Attack of the Clones
6: Rogue One
5: The Last Jedi
4: Empire Strikes Back
3: A New Hope
2: Revenge of the Sith
1: Return of the Jedi

[spoiler]Things I liked in it:
-Phasma died; one of the worst Star Wars characters ever
-Plenty of twists and turns that make it a much more original and entertaining film than TFA
-Yoda scene (although they should have had Obi-Wan and Anakin back as well)
-Some original planets
-Poe, Rey and Kylo are better characters now

Things I didn't like:

-The flashbacks to Ben Solo were far more interesting than anything in the film. The new trilogy should have been about Han, Leia and Luke raising their force sensitive children who would then become the new characters. Instead we get Han, Luke and Leia all dying. And we didn't even see them with Lando again.
-It's still kind of rips off Empire. AOTC took elements from Empire but this is almost the exact same plot. A new Jedi trains with an old master while the Rebels flee the Empire. I does go a different route in the end though
-I'm surprised they didn't edit the film after Carrie's death so that Leia stays dead. It would have been simple enough to reshoot one or two scenes
-Why did Luke bother with the Force projection of himself at the end of the film? If he was just going to become one with the force in the end anyway why didn't he just meet Kylo in person? And why did the projection wield Anakin's lightsaber instead of his own green lightsaber?
-The soundtrack is disappointing once again. John Williams composed far better music for the prequels. Duel of Fates, Jedi Temple March ect. The only memorable track in the film is the resistance theme and that's carried over from TFA.
[/spoiler]

December 20, 2017, 03:12:11 AM #3 Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:13:23 AM by Gistech
My personal list puts The Last Jedi at #3, with Rogue One and TESB taking #2 and #1.

I loved the score for this film. It's classic John Willimas just having fun with the music. Sure, I wish there could have been a few bolder themes (Finn and Rose did get one), but I really do see parallels between this score and both TESB and TPM, both of which are my favourite scores in their trilogies. I also love how the Canto Bight music is a 'Side C' to the Cantina Band music. In fact, it works so much better as a 'Side B' piece to Cantina Band #1 than Cantina Band #2, IMO. Unlike the Force Awakens - which took several listens for me to really get into - the soundtrack of The Last Jedi was a first-time like for me.

I don't see how this rips off Empire. That's like saying TPM rips off ANH (Boy on Tatooine gets off of Tatooine to train as a Jedi and join a rebellion then destroys the enemy space station). They follow a very similar loose plot. Given how TFA ended, there was no way that the Resistance wasn't going to have to flee The First Order, and no way we weren't going to see Luke training Rey (though the way it's done is very, very different). It's much more like a 'rhyme' than a rip-off. There are elements that are similar but a lot of it is very different.

As for Yoda being on his own, it's because, as Rian said, it would not have felt right having Ewan McGregor talking to Mark Hamill: canonically, that version of Obi-Wan is not the one Luke would remember, it was with Alec Guiness' version that Mark had the connection to. It would just have felt off. And I really don't think Anakin or Obi-Wan could have added anything that Yoda didn't. However - I would expect one of them to maybe appear in Episode IX.

For Luke's projection, I can only imagine that he couldn't actually get off the island once Rey left in the Falcon. Yes, we saw his X-Wing, but we're not talking something that has been submerged in marshwater for a few days here, we're talking something submerged in seawater for years. The usage of the Lightsaber was, from an artistic point of view, an indicator of the fact he wasn't actually there - just like the fact he didn't leave any footprints when facing Kylo. In any case I got the feeling that Luke's green saber was most likely destroyed.

Phasma... well, one does think "she is the Boba Fett of the Sequels" in that, just like Boba when he was on screen in the originals, she doesn't really do all that much apart from look cool (it took the Expanded Universe to make Boba Fett into the badass we all know about). Also, is Phasma dead? We never saw a body, but what we did see is her armour is impervious to the energy of a blaster bolt.

It's been said many times this year: LucasFilm were not going to alter the film to account for Carrie's death. They were not going to alter her role. Having said that, they also said she will not be digitally generated for Episode IX.

My only personal issue is that the whole Canto Bight sequence was unneccesary. People like to say Poe's a douche in this but all of that could have been avoided had Holdo simply said "We're going to evacuate, but we're also going to leave the capital ships in place to make sure the evacuated ships can escape". So the reduction of the Resistance from 400+ down to about 20 is, for me, entirely on Holdo's actions and not Poe's. And since that's the case, it renders the whole Canto Bight mission meaningless.

There's no way this suprasses Empire, and for me, Rogue One was the better film. However it is nowhere near as bad as the apparent audience reaction suggests (and as it turns out the 'reaction' is an orchestrated campaign of bombarding IMDB and RT with 0s and 1s using bot accounts). The critics who said "this is better than TESB" were definitely overhyping it. However, for me: it stands as one of the better Star Wars films. The pacing is just what lets it down, as does a small part of the humour (like Poe's prank call). All-in-all, a good 7/10-8/10 (may fluctuate on the second viewing).

Now, who wants to bet the next film is titled "The New Order", and the final duel between Rey and Kylo Ren takes place on Mustafar?

Here's my list

#1 The Empire Strikes Back (10/10)
#2 Rogue One (8/10)
#3 The Last Jedi (7-8/10)
#4 A New Hope (7/10)
#5 The Force Awakens (7/10)
#6 Return of the Jedi (7/10)
#7 Revenge Of The Sith (7/10)
#8 The Phantom Menace (6/10)
#9 Attack Of The Clones (4/10)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

December 20, 2017, 09:44:28 AM #4 Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:46:33 AM by swgaming1015

The best thing about this new trilogy is that we're getting more Plinkett reviews.

Plot had too much stupid stuff in it, but the action scenes were great. For example, the Finn and Rose subplot was a whole different movie. It was supposed to be a comedic relief but it failed miserably. Also, on Crait, how did Finn drag Rose all the way back to the base in such a short amount of time? Most of the humor was off and should've been left out as this was supposed to be the darkest chapter. Some points I've seen already is Snoke and Phasma were wasted characters, to that I wholeheartedly agree. Akbar's death was pathetic, Holdo should've been replaced by Akbar during that light speed scene. Holdo is the single reason why The First Order even found out about Crait, why didn't she tell Poe? Completely unnecessary. Rose falling in love with Finn seems forced. Leia turned into Superman during that space scene, she should've died there. This is more me nitpicking, but the bombers make no sense. How can you drop physical bombs in space? How was Rose's sister and the bombs not sucked into the vacuum of space when the doors opened? How did that not happen with any one of the bombers? How did no one in the ship was Leia flew into sucked into the vacuum of space? They also ruined Luke's character, he would never have tried to kill Kylo. In Episode 6, he went on a suicide mission into the second Death Star because he thought he could bring out the light side in freaking Darth Vader. Also, how did The First Order take over the galaxy? What?

The First Order took over when they obliterated the Hosnian system and the Republic fleet with it. It's mentioned in the Visual Dictionary that once that happened many systems signalled their surrender to the First Order.

Also re. Luke: Luke also succumbed to a taunt that Vader would turn Leia if he would not turn himself. He tried to kill Vader in anger - then snapped out of it. So, as far as I can see, Luke having a brief impulse to kill Ben that dissipates after a moment isn't out of character at all.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Agree with Gistech on the Luke part - that was in his character from the beginning.  "You are reckless!" -Yoda

And as far as the bombers part (and Leia, that was probably my least favorite part even though they avoided killing off another OT character) - I think we've determined a long time ago that being in a galaxy far, far away does not follow our rules of space. 
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

We've seen countless times people/things being sucked into space, you see it in Episode 3 and the Clone Wars. The Luke part, it was a child. He felt threatened by a child vs being threatened with his sister.

Though Luke describes seeing a 'scared child', it's pretty obvious Luke is not speaking of Ben as literally being a child - using a slightly de-aged Adam Driver should make that obvious. It's been a few years since the destruction of Luke's tmple but not a huge amount. Ben was barely younger than Anakin when he turned.
In Progress:

On Hold: