Tournament F.A.Q.

Started by Hardcore, January 23, 2009, 12:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Q: What tournaments are there?

A: There are currently four types of tournaments:
  • STANDARD TOURNAMENTS
    Our standard tournament's purpose is to test each individual's skills.  Therefore, it doesn't matter which side wins, what matters is how many kills and deaths a player has.  We calculate our scores with this formula: (kills - deaths) / rounds played.  So the goal is to not only get as many kills as you can, but also avoid dying as much as you can.
  • PLATFORM WARS
    These tournaments are based on teamwork.  Generally it's Mac players vs PC players and whichever side wins, it gets a point.  In the end, the side with most points wins.
  • MINI TOURNAMENTS
    The name says it all.  We calculate the scores the exact same way as our standard tournaments except in Mini Tournaments, we only play one single map, hence the word "mini".
  • EURO TOURNAMENTS
    Euro Tournaments are open to EVERYONE, not just European players, but the host must be European in order to reduce lag for other European players and also the time would be "Euro-friendly", although it could also be "North America-friendly", it just really depends.
------------------------

Q: Who hosts tournaments?

A: Any forum member can host tournaments.  The ONLY requirement is that you need to have good upload bandwidth.  You can find out your upload bandwidth through broadband speed tests such as Speakeasy's Speed Test.  For example, my upload bandwidth is 386kbps, and I can host a 10 player game.  So once you find out what your upload bandwidth is, just use my speed as a guide to figure out how many players you can host.

------------------------

Q: When can I host tournaments?

A: You can host it any time you want.  Just make sure you can get enough players to join.

------------------------

Q: What steps must I take before hosting a tournament?

A: First make sure you follow the guide to reduce lag (Will be added in a few days). Then if you are hosting a Platform Wars tournament and have a router, make sure you forward the port of UDP 3658. If you don't know how to forward ports then visit here and find your router for detailed instructions.

------------------------

Q: OK, I'm ready to host a tournament!  What do I do next?

A: First, check our Future Tournament Host topic to see if there are any available spots.  If so, PM Hardcore to let him know and then decide which type of tournament you'd like to host.  Finally, just pick a date and time and just start a thread with all relevant information.

------------------------

Q: Great!  Now I'm officially a Tournament Host, but people are posting in my tournament thread saying that they can't come!  Should I change the date?

A: I would say NO.

YOU are the host and therefore YOU have the final say on everything as long as it doesn't violate our tournament rules, which are few and flexible anyway.  Fact is, no matter which day you pick, there will ALWAYS be people who insist on posting comments stating that they can't come as if we can't have the tournament without them.  This can be quite discouraging to new hosts.

Also, most people who WILL show up to your tournament will nost likely post some sort of confirmation in your thread anyway.  There is no such thing as a "perfect date" where ALL members can participate.  So just pick a date and stick to it, more likely than not, you will have tons of people show up and some will have to be even turned away!  Don't believe me?  Just look at our Tournament Page and you'll notice that more and more people are participating in our tournaments all the time!

------------------------

Q: Can I whine?

A: NO! It's hard being the host as it is and if you disagree, just try hosting a tournament.  The host reserves the right to kick anyone who whines as whining is not only annoying but distracting as well.  If you are lagging or don't like the maps, you are more than welcome to host your own tournament where you won't lag and can choose whatever maps you want.  A person is whining when he or she complains about: lag, map, someone being "cheap", chat kill... etc.

------------------------

Q: How often do we have a tournament?

A: We try to have one TYPE of tournament per week.  So if lucky, we could have three tournaments in one week.  It's recommended that the host of a tournament starts a thread about it the day immediately after the previous tournament took place.  The host would be given three-five days to do so depending on how long the waiting list is.  If the host fails to pick a date and post a thread about the tournament he's hosting, the next person on the waiting list will be bumped up.

------------------------

Q: When would be the best day and time to host a tournament?

A: We have an on-going poll here determining which day is best for most people on the forum. You can find that thread here.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

PLATFORM WARS
These tournaments are based on teamwork. Generally it's Mac players vs PC players and whichever side wins, it gets a point. In the end, the side with most points wins.
IS COOL TO FIGHT LIKE A TEAM LIKE IN A REAL MOVIE

EURO TOURNAMENTS
Euro Tournaments are open to EVERYONE, not just European players, but the host must be European in order to reduce lag for other European players and also the time would be "Euro-friendly", although it could also be "North America-friendly", it just really depends.
your so a nice guy to make a tournament all for us :P HC I LOVE YOU (dont take it TO personal)

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

How do you guys handle start times etc?  I will usually start a match with 1 or 2 maps (more often than not 1 map) before a lobby.  Then start the server on the posted start time according to my clock...this gives any latecomers (or ppl who's clocks/watches etc are slow) a reasonable amount of leeway.  The lobby marks the start of the match.  I also set the server up for a min of 2 players below the actual mount that playing which allows for no shows or again latecomers and saves having to restart the server.

I was just wondering how you guys do it?

We generally just set up the lobby and then go into game when it looks like everybody is ready, but it does depend on the host

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"