SWBF3 - Effects on the current community?

Started by {PLA}RevolutioN, July 09, 2014, 04:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 09, 2014, 04:17:24 AM Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:26:27 AM by {PLA}RevolutioN
As you all know SWBF3 is going to be released in sometime in 2015 for PC, XBOX 1 and PS4. Only the PC version of the game is relevant to us but I was wondering what the community here thinks about the sudden influx of new players the game will bring. (an influx of players this game hasn't seen since BF2 was released). Will a large majority of the new players be arrogant and raging 10 year olds? Or will they be ex-battlefronters coming back to play again? Will the new communities and clans formed leave no use for surviving communities like us that still continue to play the original BF games? What do you guys think will happen in SWBF3? Will it be big or will it just be a flop? Will you guys even buy it?

Leave what you guys think will happen with SWBF3 in the comments.

(I really hope its not going to be like COD or Battlefield..)

Funnily enough, I posted a very similar response in the SWBFGamers clan idea thread:
[spoiler]
Quote from: Gold Man on May 26, 2014, 06:03:24 PM
While that may work, we have to consider:
A) Lots of long-time Battlefrontians will be returning to this game, many probably with not the same morals or ethics as this community is built upon. This may make organization within BFO difficult due to clashes of morals and such from veteran/returning players.
B) This will also attract generic DICE/EA fans as well. We'll be facing trolls, possible hackers, 12 year olds in an M-rated game, and people that swear like sailors. People who are battle-hardened to Battlefield, and are probably expecting the same experience.

In other words, it may work, but keep in mind both Battlefronts have drastically different communities, both in regards to ethics and rules. On top of that, we'll have a whole new fanbase for this game, meaning many different characters, some we haven't even seen since the early days of this game.

Forgive if I've stated this before, but if we attempt a BFO clan for the new SWBF, we'll have a whole slew of people with varying personas to work with, which will prove difficult.
[/spoiler]

I believe the majority could be very well mixed. It could invite old SWBF fans back, and with it invite some Battlefield players who believed SWBF to be Battlefield in a Star Wars skin. If anything, there will be many jerks, likes of which the forum has probably not come across in ages. There will probably be some 10-12 year old raging kids as well. There may even be hackers and trolls that will do anything possible to tear down this old forum community.

With new people arriving, I have no doubts there will be someone out there bent on destroying this community at some point in the future.

I think unless it has Battlefield style problems at launch the name alone will mean it's huge. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it will bring a lot of people back to this game unless they have some sort of re-release or put it on steam.

I expect when it starts getting hyped more there will be a lot of new members on this site and although it will be nice to see more people and the majority of them will be sensible online there will still be some children (and adults) who enjoy ruining the game for other people just like all games have always had.
Hopefully Led has an army of moderators on standby for next year. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

July 09, 2014, 11:05:46 AM #3 Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:14:17 AM by Ltin
Obviously  we're going to end up with a gaming community in general not unlike that of modern shooters.
As far as here specifically, we might get a few new members, but our community  will probably end up with a more polite, cultured community consisting of a mix of old and new  players.
I think the traSh (TRAShooterH) will gravitate to official forums and newer websites. 

I think the best bet for this site is to maintain our super strict set of rules. If Led continues to appoint a dedicated moderator staff here and they continue there good work, then this site will not be of any interest to evil-doers as there will be easier prizes, and places to mess up elsewhere.
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

I expect there will be all types that play the game.  SWBF 1.0, SWBF 1.2, SWBF2, and new people.

I hope to be able to rent a server for PLA/SWBFgamers.com.  I expect it will be more expensive though, probably back to $40-$50/month again, based on the costs for the other EA titles.  My hope is that those servers can be an oasis for like-minded players that can follow rules based on good manners. 

I hope I can get PLA back into action again, but time will tell.  Part of the "charm" of the original SWBF is all of the quirks on maps and in player actions that could be passed on to clan members.  It gave a sense of discovery to the game that we will likely not find in the new title.  And if we do find a glitch or something, most new titles auto-patch continuously, so I bet it doesn't last long if we find one.

I am not worried at all about this website.  It is easy enough to process bans.  And, I think that since EA will likely have a dedicated forum for the new SWBF, they will take the brunt of any behavior issues.  We may not even see much interest unless they release some modding tools for the new title (unlikely, in my opinion) and even then, we will have some competition from other sites like GT.

The new title is sure to have better admin tools and auto-censor for the naughty words and what not.  Banning will probably be done through an origin ID, which should cut down on the nonsense of having to ban multiple IPs.  Some have treated getting back into servers after a ban as a game within a game...

Not too worry about this place though, I will host this website for the original SWBF and will for a long time to come.    As a website, we have had a resurgence of visitors, averaging about 200 logged visitors (real people with accounts) per week.   :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

July 09, 2014, 01:09:23 PM #6 Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:16:12 PM by Syyy
I wouldn't make a difference between the current SWBF veterans and the eventual players that did not play the first two titles. We will all be new to Star Wars : Battlefront, and shouldn't look down on anyone.

DICE is making a really good deal by releasing the game at the ~same time to movie will come out. Star Wars fans in general will be appealed by the possibility to revive legendary battles. We should expect a huge amount of players upon release. Big numbers means diversity of people.

I also hope that competitiveness will be taken in account. I would love to see Star Wars : Battlefront having its ESL ladders and cups. Clans and rewards is what often motivates players to keep gaming.

Concerning swbfgamers.com, if you guys want this community to be highlighted and expect to host an important number of members. You will have to heavily promote the website before the actual release, maybe open a part of the forum to guests ( a category which does not requires registration, so people do not have to create an account if they only want to post once ).

Quote from: Syyy on July 09, 2014, 01:09:23 PM
Concerning swbfgamers.com, if you guys want this community to be highlighted and expect to host an important number of members. You will have to heavily promote the website before the actual release, maybe open a part of the forum to guests ( a category which does not requires registration, so people do not have to create an account if they only want to post once ).

I can look into that.  Of course guests can see most all of our content without registration and then judge for themselves if they want to join.

The potential problem with guests and posting is the spam bot issue, but we may have some options.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

This is a bit of a bump, but this forum isn't very active to begin with.

I don't think there will be a problem when it comes to the community for the new game. Sure you'll have a lot of scrubs in the general population of the game in public servers and on the official forums on Battlelog but communities such as this, SWGO, and the SWBFC will remain fairly isolated. Hopefully old members will return but I don't see any of us being flooded with "kids".