Is there a way to adapt default skeleton bones to a custom mesh?

Started by i2Bros, January 17, 2018, 07:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Am I missing something? I can export model and envelope them but I can't place bones in the right place, so my models always end up looking messy. Is there a way to move the bones without having to make a new skeleton and a new animation?
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers

Quote from: i2Bros on January 17, 2018, 07:16:18 AM
Am I missing something? I can export model and envelope them but I can't place bones in the right place, so my models always end up looking messy. Is there a way to move the bones without having to make a new skeleton and a new animation?

From what I remember you would have to individually move the bones on your skeleton, export the skeleton as an .msh file and munge the mshs into zaabin/zafbin.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Quote from: Gistech on January 17, 2018, 07:45:06 AM
From what I remember you would have to individually move the bones on your skeleton, export the skeleton as an .msh file and munge the mshs into zaabin/zafbin.

I see, but when I move the bones and envelope the model shapes in weird ways, like if it wants to resemble the movements I previously set on the bones.

Quote from: i2Bros on January 17, 2018, 08:59:19 AM
I see, but when I move the bones and envelope the model shapes in weird ways, like if it wants to resemble the movements I previously set on the bones.

Look at the setup of the Wookie, or the Jawa, or Yoda. I believe there's some answers in their ODF files.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on January 17, 2018, 09:19:53 AM
Look at the setup of the Wookie, or the Jawa, or Yoda. I believe there's some answers in their ODF files.
No, they get messed up in zetools, let alone in game.

What you want to do is export a basepose.msh.
You simply key frames 0 and 1 in the animation editor, make sure you're on 0, hide the mesh and just leave the bones visible. Export it, and then place it in your Animations folder. There should be a template folder that you'll place the basepose.msh in. Edit the munge.bat to edit the name of the zafbin and it's location. Munge, and then in your odf list the SkeletonName = "name_of_zafbin"
It will use the standard human animations, but will adopt your bone positions. That said, the only true 100% way would be to make custom animations, but this usually does the trick well enough.

Is there a complete tutorial? I can spend my time on this stuff, and this would actually bump up the developement of my mod. Also I was trying to envelope a Rebels Stormtrooper model from a pinball game, its awesome and it could open the doors for some Rebels mod, since nowadays everyone makes TCW mods cause the assets for that are really accessible

I think you're better off asking on GameToast about a complete tutorial. I'm sure I saw one on there but it's not listed on the Everything You Need thread.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Yeah search basepose on gt. I read a tutorial under the modeling section that taught me.