How To Properly Get SWBF To Work

Started by aeria., June 07, 2009, 01:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 07, 2009, 01:12:21 PM Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:34:22 PM by Dark_Phantom
NOTE BY DARK_PHANTOM 9/16/2020:
You will NOT be able to use the Aspyr version on anything above Snow Leopard (10.6) because of a compatibility layer called Rosetta that was not supported in 10.7+.  However, if you so happen to have an old Mac that does, I was able to confirm that these steps work and that Direct Connect does work with SWBFspy.
End PSA

After people still not being able to play Star Wars Battlefront on Leopard, I will explain things here.

Long Story Short:

Download this instead:
- http://www.mpcgamers.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=19

- http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=19

OR

- http://support.aspyr.com/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&root=89

Long Story Long:

Star Wars Battlefront WILL NOT work with Leopard without applying the 1.2 Rev A patch.

You MUST install the 1.2 Rev A patch to:

- Play Star Wars Battlefront on Gameranger
- Play Star Wars Battlefront on Leopard
- Participate in any MPCgamers tournament. All of our Mac users play under 1.2 Rev A.

Here's the catch:

There are TWO different versions of the patch.
Only one of those two is working.

There is the "GameRanger" patch and then there is the "Aspyr" patch. Even worse, other websites will mirror either one. Only the patch remade by Aspyr works correctly. The other will hang when installing, being stuck on the file .DS_Store. Therefore, you must force quit and then Star Wars Battlefront will break, causing you to reinstall the whole game.

The right patch is located here (thanks to Jedikiller for upload)
Note: You must register under MPCGamers.com to download this file. That does not include your MPCGamers Forum account.

The wrong patch is no longer being hosted under the Gameranger website, but if you still have it, it WILL hang at the file: .DS_store.

That's probably as easy as I can explain it, if the game is still not working properly for you, please post about it in this forum.

Although if the game works for you now, have fun! We hope to see you on the Battlefield.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):

- Will this game work work on Intel?

YES. The game will work on Intel Macs, regardless of model version, although the game will run very slowly compared to the Windows version due to the fact that it is a PowerPC game. It is still playable of a game, yet don't expect to get 60+ FPS out of that super new computer.

- Arggh! Why is this game lagging so badly??

That's either two reasons. It's either your computer isn't fast enough, or the internet speeds between the host and the players is very bad. The first thing to do is to decrease the LOD and VIEW in the game settings. This will decrease a large amount of lag ingame. To minimize lag online, it is recommended for the person with the best internet connection to host the current game.

- What the heck is this blinking red cable showing at the bottom of the screen?
There are two reasons for this:

Someone is joining/leaving the game.
OR
There is high latency between you and the other players. Adjusting your video settings won't do anything about it.

- There's no severs appearing for Star Wars Battlefront!

Well, you'll need to host one so that others can join. If no one is joining, no one is online. Most games are around 7-11 PM EST. Sometimes the games are even earlier.

- When I try to join a game online, I get the error that I don't have a map that's being played. How do I fix this?

That's an easy one! You need to download a custom map! The maps being played are almost always listed on the name of the room. If you are hosting a game, it is highly recommended for you to do so, that way joining players will know what maps you are playing.

- How do I install a custom map?

I HATE explaining this over and over again. Thankfully, The-Pants made an easy to follow tutorial on how to install maps. CLICK HERE to learn how.

- How do I find custom maps?

There's a good number of places where you can download maps for this game! If you want to find the more popular maps, feel free to   browse the MPCGamers download section as well as http://www.the-pants.org/ website. Download any that you like. If you are looking for other maps, visit Filefront.

- My custom maps aren't showing!

There's a few reason why they aren't showing.
1. You didn't scroll down the page.
2. You installed the maps incorrectly.
3. You installed too many maps.

You can only install 20-25 maps at once. If you put too many, none of them will show. Do not ask me or anyone else here why. It is a bug in the game that LucasArts refuses to fix for both Mac and PC users.

If there is any other problem you have, feel free to post it in our forum. Be sure to give it a descriptive title and explain your problem clearly. That way we can solve your problem with ease.

- The game says that my CD Key is not authorized . . .

The biggest reason that this happened is because you pirated the game. MPCGamers does NOT tolerate piracy at all. DO NOT ask for a working CD Key or for a free copy of the game because you WILL NOT get one.

Although, as I said earlier, LucasArts refuses to fix the game, so there are some bugs that will prevent you from joining the game. Here's the basic ones:

GameRanger bug - GR has an odd bug where the game will prevent you from hosting the game although it will allow you to join other games OR vice versa. Once again, DO NOT ask me why. The best thing to do is to reinstall GameRanger. That means you go hunt for the library files in your computer and delete those as well. If you're too much of a "simplicity" person, just get something like App Cleaner and it'll go fetch it for you.

Little Snitch/Other Firewall - If you have a nice little firewall, you'll want to allow SWBF and GR to connect, or then it'll show the CD Key error.

Tampering with Game Files - Reinstall the game. You've probably tampered with the game file cdkey.txt. Guess what that contains?

No Permission Access - If you don't have write permissions for the game's directory, it (in theory) won't save the cdkey.txt file. Get the admin to install the game for you.

#TYBG

Stickied. Thanks for the guide!

The patch has been mirrored on MPCGamers in the SWBF Misc. category.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Updated!

- Added MPCGamer's Patch Link
 - Made a better third to last sentence.

#TYBG

This won't make it work on an Intel Mac will it?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Yes, SWBF WILL work on Intel.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Updated!

- Started FAQ
 - Started Expanding to Other Topics

#TYBG

I downloaded a patch to play on gr do I need this patch also? I hope not. (lol)

Updated!

- Expanded FAQ
 - Learning how to use BB Code along the way (It's awesome)

#TYBG

Updated!

- Added cd key error to the FAQ
 - Fixed minor errors

Tell me if I ever need to add anything.

#TYBG

Little note that you might want to put in about the network latency icon - That will always show up when the host computer has to run through a fairly big change in the game such as a person joining or leaving

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

Updated!

- Fixed the font size due to new forum
- Will no longer notify updates after this one

#TYBG

Does anyone have an explantion for having swbf to work on vista.
on xp i'm having no probs at all but on my other pc i would get a binkw32.dll error or something
i tried downloading cracks but they gave the same error, help?

Solved Casanova's problem over xfire :)