Algebra Sucks

Started by Ultimo, February 12, 2013, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Eeyup, Algebra sucks. Well, It's easy, but my teacher is mentally challenged and so I'm failing the class. While I managed to sneak my way onto swbfgamers, this is probably my only chance to tell everyone that I'll be grounded for another month or so. Until then, goodbye my people. You guys keep up the good work.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

February 12, 2013, 07:34:13 PM #1 Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:36:37 PM by aeria.
Algebra is lightwork. You need to devote more time into memorizing the basic rules of algebra. Start with the basics and work up. Having that will get you a long way.

Wait until you take college level Calculus. Not high school calc. College calc.

Then you'll wish you'll be doing algebra.

I highly doubt you have a mentally challenged teacher. To teach is a skill alone and being mentally challenged, even if capable of doing mathematics, should disqualify you from being a high school teacher. High school kids need to be controlled in the classroom and taught at the same time.

#TYBG

Thanks now i really cant wait for college or university aeria  :dry:
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

I'm currently taking an AP Calc course in high school that covers Ab and BC Calc (College calc 1 and 2). ... It sucks  :'( but the good news is once i pass the AP test i wont need to take any calc in college  :D algebra is simple

Quote from: aeria. on February 12, 2013, 07:34:13 PM
Algebra is lightwork. You need to devote more time into memorizing the basic rules of algebra. Start with the basics and work up. Having that will get you a long way.

Wait until you take college level Calculus. Not high school calc. College calc.

Then you'll wish you'll be doing algebra.

I highly doubt you have a mentally challenged teacher. To teach is a skill alone and being mentally challenged, even if capable of doing mathematics, should disqualify you from being a high school teacher. High school kids need to be controlled in the classroom and taught at the same time.

As an aside, what textbook do you use?  Thomas'?

Quote from: Are§ on February 12, 2013, 09:18:19 PM
I'm currently taking an AP Calc course in high school that covers Ab and BC Calc (College calc 1 and 2). ... It sucks  :'( but the good news is once i pass the AP test i wont need to take any calc in college  :D algebra is simple

What's the AP textbook?

Quote from: Nobility on February 12, 2013, 07:21:51 PM
Eeyup, Algebra sucks. Well, It's easy, but my teacher is mentally challenged and so I'm failing the class. While I managed to sneak my way onto swbfgamers, this is probably my only chance to tell everyone that I'll be grounded for another month or so. Until then, goodbye my people. You guys keep up the good work.
I cannot stand Algebra either, but yu have to learn it, these people that run our society require alot of lame knowledge from us...

You could easily live without most mathematics, it isn't extremely necessary.
But you can live life way easier if you just learn it, I know I sound just as bad as some adult now, but trust me, it's worth the effort. (I am a year and a half above my grade in math, so it's not like I have it as easy as anyone else)

February 12, 2013, 10:37:12 PM #6 Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:53:31 PM by Joseph
Mathematics education, especially at the High School, is abysmal. Even if you do do well in it there's no guarantee that you will have any great understanding of what you're doing. Unfortunately the attitude of most teachers is "shut up and calculate", they only want to get through their planned lessons as expediently as possible and have no desire (and in all likelihood, no capability) of conveying genuine understanding. I know this from personal experience, the experience of my HS age sister, and the general observation of math students of all ages.

[I've seen several mathematicians remark that they want the standard AP-level High School Math to be Statistics(!), as a sort-of damage control because students come to college with such a shoddy understanding of calculus. This is a symptom of the general problem that High school math is not math properly speaking, it is just training human calculators. For me at least, only in 9th grade Geometry was I exposed to "proofs" and this was done in such a confusing way that I'm confident that everyone in the class was utterly alienated from this way of thinking (including me at the time).

In fact I think "Symbolic Logic" should be taught at the High School level at the same time as geometry.]

For those who are saying "lol algebra is easy", well, it's very easy to say that after you've learned it, but unhelpful. You might as well type "wyn68vm9cmqawtm9" on the screen. The best advice I can give Nobility is, use the internet. I particularly recommend the YouTube videos of PatrickJMT - he's very helpful and will probably explain better in 10 minutes what your teacher tried to do in an hour. Or just type in whatever you're learning into Youtube. You can cover a lot of ground fast this way.

So long story short, please don't feel bad and please don't get turned off of math just because your teacher blows.

PS, I thought that, relatively speaking, college calculus was way easier than my HS Algebra II class. Probably because my instructors were competent.

PPS, Thomas is not a very good book, the world would be a better place if everyone learned from Spivak ( a masterpiece)

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on February 12, 2013, 10:02:42 PM
You could easily live without everything except food, water, and a little jail cell to sleep in.

Quote from: [FC]Helios on February 12, 2013, 08:02:39 PM
Thanks now i really cant wait for college or university aeria  :dry:
That's only if your major requires it. I am an accounting major and will not have to take a calc. course to graduate with my Bachelor of Science in Accounting.

Im doing a bachelor of business (no math!!!!) As a graduate i'll be doing HR-management, and the only thing you'll get is business, law, finance, HR-coaching, social media, excel and so on...
For the rest it's all good fun, so no worrying about college or university!

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

My county is weird, we took algerba 1 then 2, now we are taking geometry, I had gotten all A's and B's until I reached pre algebra in 7th, to me it was so difficult, then in 8th in Algebra 1 I failed a quarter...Algebra 2 I did way better, now I love algebra, so easy, but right now I'm in geometry, I hate proofs....

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on February 12, 2013, 10:02:42 PM
I cannot stand Algebra either, but yu have to learn it, these people that run our society require alot of lame knowledge from us...

If there was no math there would be no computers or video game consoles, none of those means no SWBF. MATH = SWBF

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I need to figure these out (Quaternions), in order to fix all the broken meshes floating around.

Mr. Hamilton got the basics set up in the mid 1800's, and it seems every developer out there understands them except for me.

Stay in school, kids.

February 13, 2013, 09:11:52 AM #12 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:14:13 AM by Josh
Quote from: tirpider on February 13, 2013, 07:26:02 AM
I need to figure these out (Quaternions), in order to fix all the broken meshes floating around.

Mr. Hamilton got the basics set up in the mid 1800's, and it seems every developer out there understands them except for me.

Stay in school, kids.
Man thats pretty easy to understand  ( im being sarcastic )

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Josh on February 13, 2013, 09:11:52 AM
Man thats pretty easy to understand  ( im being sarcastic )
Matter of opinion

Quote from: Joseph on February 12, 2013, 10:37:12 PM
You could easily live without everything except food, water, and a little jail cell to sleep in.
Nice phylosophy!  :tu:
Algebra, is realy most hard for understanding subject, as everything, connected with calculation. When I was in school, I was grounded all the time, because of this. Still, it's dosn't help me much :wacko:.
Only, with time, after many, many years, of hard learning, I making this question, more clear for myself. Well, maybe I am still do not understand nothing, about Algebra, or math at all, but I learn, how to focus myself, on any subject, and try to reach perfection, at any work, I ever do.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf: