Playing Star Wars Battlefront on Mac OS X

Started by ErikRiefe, May 30, 2017, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I own a MacBook and just recently discovered that battlefront was originally released on mac. However, I'm cautious whether to do this or not because I've modified the sides and more importantly I don't own the disk. I'd appreciate it if someone could help point me in the right direction on this. But if it can't work, it's completely fine too.

Thanks,

chEEF
chEEf

It was available for an earlier OS for the mac.  Some players here use the PC version with WINE on the latest macs. 
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

May 30, 2017, 07:52:40 PM #2 Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:54:06 AM by Unit 33
Kit Fisto made a tutorial on it a few years ago, very helpful! That's how I was able to play it.

I have the actual game disc, but since you do not, I recommend going to The Pirate Bay for a copy, mount it, then follow Kit's instructions in the video. There are links in the description as well to gather all that's needed to make the game functional.

I currently use OS X Sierra and haven't run into any problems so far. Good luck!

Woah there, we do certainly do not condone illicit methods of acquiring SWBF here. As this is your literal first post, I'll just warn you to not do so again. - Unit 33

I tried all of the options, and I must say that simply installing bootcamp was the most stable and functional option.

Bootcamp allows you to run windows on your Mac, and any Windows applications. It does represent a little more money to buy a copy of XP or something, but it's really not too bad.

June 03, 2017, 04:08:41 AM #4 Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:17:36 AM by Shaking_Sniper
Quote from: ErikRiefe on May 30, 2017, 07:07:26 PM
I own a MacBook and just recently discovered that battlefront was originally released on mac. However, I'm cautious whether to do this or not because I've modified the sides and more importantly I don't own the disk. I'd appreciate it if someone could help point me in the right direction on this. But if it can't work, it's completely fine too.

Thanks,

chEEF

I suggest using the port from kit fisto,works very well.

You will have to use a no cd patch/crack if you don't have a cd but it works.If you want to play online,apply the no cd patch,launch your game,then close and replace with the SWBFSpy exe and Viola!(I really don't know if it is legal or not but I did try it once when I couldn't find my cd,then I got scared and did a full house search for he disk...)

I don't know about the Mac version,thought it was a patch/port kinda thing,but as it is/was quite old,you'll probably have a better performance with the port given by Kit.(my iMac from 2007 btw)

Here's Kit Fisto's thread http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5450.0
P.S. the port was not made by him,it was from a user at the porting team(they have cider ports for most games for Mac usage)but the porting team does not have that page anymore.Kit is currently hosting it on his media fire account.
Porting team also has a 2 ports for SWBF 2.They may have long loading times but you can play online(tried) using the SWBFspy exe.(Don't forget to rename it!)
Generic Sig goes here

You can buy a used disk from eBay or another online vendor,but if you prefer not to,you can buy a digital copy of SWBF 2 from GoG or steam.Both are windows but you can (once again) use a port.I recommend you buy it from GoG as you cannot use the steam version through a port.

You will have to use WINE for steam (An application that fools and application into thinking it's in a windows environment and translates to your preferred OS).WINE can be a very confusing landscape of commands and crash logs,and SWBF2 takes quite a long time to load games(5-10 min),audio cuts out a bit later.If you still would like to go with WINE,use an application called PlayOnMac ,which uses wine,but is more user friendly.(you will see a bunch of playonlinux on the site,as that is the main program,but they are the same thing)
Generic Sig goes here

June 03, 2017, 04:25:07 PM #6 Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:10:52 PM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: Shaking_Sniper on June 03, 2017, 04:08:41 AM
Porting team also has a 2 ports for SWBF 2.They may have long loading times but you can play online(tried) using the SWBFspy exe.(Don't forget to rename it!)
Which port is this because SWBFspy has not worked for me with SWBFII no matter what I try.
(nor does it work for SWBFI for me either)
Right after I posted this I tried out SWBFI online and now it works fine lol
I have no idea why I wasn't able to join any servers for months but now I'll see ya all on the servers!

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 03, 2017, 04:25:07 PM
Which port is this because SWBFspy has not worked for me with SWBFII no matter what I try.

You should try modifying your hosts file instead of using the edited EXE files.

Quote from: Led on June 03, 2017, 04:34:59 PM
You should try modifying your hosts file instead of using the edited EXE files.
Hmm ok I have not tried that. How would I go about doing that?

(for reference I can see the servers on both my hex edited BattlefrontII.exe as well as the one you can download here however I can't join any servers as my game crashes. I was able to get to the loading screen once then it said connection to host lost)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 03, 2017, 05:12:13 PM
Hmm ok I have not tried that. How would I go about doing that?

(for reference I can see the servers on both my hex edited BattlefrontII.exe as well as the one you can download here however I can't join any servers as my game crashes. I was able to get to the loading screen once then it said connection to host lost)

Maybe this was posted before I saw you in the server?

Here is some information about mac hosts files
https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+hosts+file&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Quote from: Led on June 03, 2017, 05:17:06 PM
Maybe this was posted before I saw you in the server?

Here is some information about mac hosts files
https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+hosts+file&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Sorry for the confusion I'm talking about SWBFII.
SWBFI works fine for me now.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 03, 2017, 05:21:09 PM
Sorry for the confusion I'm talking about SWBFII.
SWBFI works fine for me now.

Yeah, no one has gotten SWBF2 to work with wine, AFAIK

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 03, 2017, 04:25:07 PM
Right after I posted this I tried out SWBFI online and now it works fine lol
I have no idea why I wasn't able to join any servers for months but now I'll see ya all on the servers!

This is the port, which uses Cider(as the other one on the website uses WINE).Has regular loading speeds, as apposed to wine, and multiplayer works (for me).http://portingteam.com/files/file/8333-star-wars-battlefront-2/

PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR BOTH WINE AND THIS PORT(Man I love that word)YOU WILL NEED A NO-CD CRACK/PATCH.

You will also require WINE to install the game, from which you can move the game files to the port.

Remember to place the port in applications as it won't save a bit then.I recommend using an application caled PlayOnMac (linux as well)to install as it is way easier to work with.Or you can use the installer app that came with the SWBF1 port that you hosted (should work, as it installs certain wine tricks and libraries when you start up the app).
Generic Sig goes here

Quote from: Led on June 03, 2017, 06:06:33 PM
Yeah, no one has gotten SWBF2 to work with wine, AFAIK

SWBF 2 does work on WINE, quite well actually, but it will have incredibly long loading times and some people say that the audio cuts out later(hasn't happened for me).When GameSpy was still free off GLU mobile, multiplayer didn't really work.And on top of that, you needed a no-cd crack.And nobody had got the the LaunchBF.exe to work. WINE could work with SWBFSpy, but you will not be able to connect.

Generic Sig goes here

The versions of SWBF2 that I have owned (DVD and steam) has always been DRM free, with no disc required.  So, maybe there is another issue.