What could be improved?

Started by Led, November 22, 2015, 08:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Let's make a constructive list of what could be improved in this game.

Here is a start to my list:

-The points at the end of the match take far to long to add up.  It should take 2 seconds, max.

-The chat is too small.

-To get into a game, you have to press join, yes join now, enter to skip the instructions, then start to actually start.  This should be reduced to one button press.

-I can't see who I kill.  I am interested in that as much as seeing who killed me.

-For completeness, lack of server browser, lack of self hosted servers, no campaign mode, lack of side switching.

-For keyboard users, the button arrangement is crap.  You should be able to cycle through 1-4 by using mouse wheel.

-Lack or armor.  Too easy to get killed, no dodging is really possible.

-Maps without enemies spawning behind you.  It needs to be a BattleFRONT.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

November 22, 2015, 10:25:26 AM #1 Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:27:29 AM by TheGangstarTY
You seem to be experiencing some annoying things :confused:
I'm finding it fine as of now. The only thing that's getting on my nerves is my connection which cuts off ever 12 hours so I sometime can't play it. I still think it's a complete disappointment compared to the old Battlefront games though.

Quote from: Led on November 22, 2015, 08:53:04 AM
-Lack or armor.  Too easy to get killed, no dodging is really possible.

Killing others seems to be pretty easy for me, I rarely end a game with less than 15 kills. When in a 1v1 situation I seem to win most of the time. My setup is the Default Rebel Blaster (A280 I think it's called) with the Thermal Detonator assigned to the left card, Ion Shot assigned to the middle card and most importantly the small Scout Blaster or whatever it's called. The Scout thing kills them instantly at close range which is good for playing as the Rebels.
When playing as the Empire, I use the T-21 Blaster since you'll often be shooting at long range. This is a 3 hit-kill weapon which is why it's also really good. But if you're in close range combat, you're most likely going to lose with the T-21 blaster since it's fire rate is incredibly low which is why I make sure I have the Scout pistol in hand when running into close quarters of the map. The grenade I have is the one that explodes upon impact along with the Focus Fire. If you have a high enough level, replace the grenade with a Jetpack (unless you're Rebels).
These two setups seem to almost always get me to the top 5 in the leader boards (on 20v20 maps) so hopefully they'll do the same for anyone wanting to try my setup. However it might not since you may be better with other weapons.

-For keyboard users, the button arrangement is crap.  You should be able to cycle through 1-4 by using mouse wheel.

The button arrangement seems fine for me, it was awkward at first but I soon got the hang of it.

-Maps without enemies spawning behind you.  It needs to be a BattleFRONT.

Enemies spawning behind me doesn't seem an issue since if you look at the radar, you'll see roughly where the enemies are coming from (should be red in areas where enemies are). Although I understand how it sort of defeats the name "Battlefront".

-For completeness, lack of server browser, lack of self hosted servers, no campaign mode, lack of side switching.

I completely agree with the lack of user created servers. It's extremely disappointing that that is not included in this game. Side switching needs to be a thing since when you're partners with a friend, you have to leave that session and join a different one to be with your friend. Altering this would increase que time but it would make the experience a lot better. No campaign mode is extremely disappointing since I completed all the Single Player missions in under a day (Most on Master Difficulty).

-I can't see who I kill.  I am interested in that as much as seeing who killed me.

You should be able to see who you kill if you look in the bottom left where it shows how much combat points you earn per kill/objective/assist.

-The chat is too small.

-To get into a game, you have to press join, yes join now, enter to skip the instructions, then start to actually start.  This should be reduced to one button press.

I agree that joining a game does take a tad too long but it's not really an issue for me. The chat is also annoyingly small and the only time people ever use it is to either type "gg" or "stop :censored: camping you noob" or other unwanted :censored: like that.

-The points at the end of the match take far to long to add up.  It should take 2 seconds, max.

When the points add up, that's where my audio often cuts off. No idea why but I've even updated my drivers and that still doesn't help.
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

I've had no technical problems and the game is enjoyable but I agree with everything in Leds list ;
The lack of servers is the biggest issue for me. I can see no gameplay or financial reason for them not to be there and it ruins the social and competitive of the game.

The spawnpoints need some serious adjustment - you either have the enemy behind you or spawn half a minute from the battle.

It's too easy to kill and be killed, it takes less than 2 seconds and it's just a matter of who opens fire first.

You can't dodge. You just jump limply in the air and get shot there instead.

The default controls are useless, you physically can't walk forward and use a card. Also the scroll wheel isn't even used.

No variety in Weapons. Where are the shotguns, rockets, snipers, stun grenades,mines, pistols and bowcasters? Everyone just has a rifle which works OK at any range.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

November 22, 2015, 12:47:55 PM #3 Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:51:18 PM by -RepubliqueCmdr-
I've only have XBox One version, but I noticed several things I'd have changed if I could.

-Controllers get mixed up if you pause the game and leave the controls idle for long enough that they 'sleep.'
this has caused me and my brother's players (separated by split screen) to get mixed up. In the heat of a wave, this has gotten me killed because I don't know which screen port is mine.

-No real classes to choose from in survival and battle. Switching out a grenade launcher for an Ion torpedo doesn't count.

-Cloth physics are a bit fake looking (I can set up a nice cloth with legitimate simulation in Unity in 5 minutes.. And this thing runs on frostbite?)

-Map layouts do not prevent the player from tucking away in a room with only one entrance to kill enemies one by one. SWBF-1 devs made sure that you could always be flanked, and that no one really had an unfair advantage..

-Some of the options for Player 2 do not update (such as toggle or hold options for zooming your weapon) as they should.

-Player takes up the majority of screen area to show off graphics, even in first person.

-Hit indicators are too opaque. I can't friggin' see the battle when I have low health! No help at all.

-Like Led has said a few times before, there isn't really a front to the battle.. You had one job, DICE.

-Low count of maps to choose from, and too few waves in survival mode. I want to keep going!

-Modding support should be added. (This is much more subjective though).

edit- And yes, the armor sucks, but it's not horrible.
Also, I'd like to mention that even though this seems highly critical of me, I still enjoy playing very much, and don't regret purchasing.

Bowcaster is available as a card at level 32.  I think they just added it, or else I could not see it until I reached 20.

The only thing I'm not fond of is that new guys online don't get the same weapons as guys who have been around for awhile. We're nothing but Bantha Fodder in combat until we can earn the weapons and jet packs, etc. It should be equal, or more equal, to all players, imo. Still, it's awesome and fun anyway.

Playing for a week now and finally getting the hang of it.  Overall, for the type of game the designers intended to produce they've done a wonderful job.  A few things that could be improved:

1.  As was said previously, the lack of player classes.  Sometimes in games I like to be a medic and run around helping people.  Perhaps medicine could be added as a primary weapon and you could "shoot" teammates with it, restoring them to full health.  As it is now injured players "heal" themselves rather quickly.

2.  Where can see the ping of all the players?  I suspect that using wifi to connect to my router is causing latency issues, a huge disadvantage in a pew-pew-pew-die game.  I'd like to be sure before fishtaping cat-5e cable through my walls.

3. As was also said in the original post, I often can't tell who or even if I killed someone if I die concurrently.  The "who killed me" display covers up the "who-killed-who" scroll.

4.  The snow-speeder controls are abysmal.  The left-right keys should bank the speeder, not slide it sideways.  And the tow-cable wrapping mechanism of sliding the mouse up and down is just urine poor.  In SWBF1 and Rogue Squadron it took some skill to take down a Walker, and you could shoot enemies while doing it.  The tow-cable deployment and wrapping should be more realistic.  In contrast, the speeder bike controls are easy and intuitive.

5. The action is very fast-paced so it is difficult to use the chat window for team strategy.  Is there a built-in audio team chat?  I haven't come across it but haven't really looked for it.

Quote from: DarthMuffinMix on November 25, 2015, 10:13:46 AM

5. The action is very fast-paced so it is difficult to use the chat window for team strategy.  Is there a built-in audio team chat?  I haven't come across it but haven't really looked for it.

There is no built in voice chat, but feel free to use the SWBFgamers teamspeak server  :)

Not liking the spawn points. It seems like everyone spawns everywhere. There's always someone behind you. And unlike SWBF1 you can't choose your spawn location.

The scanner is worthless. I always get shot in the back by someone that doesn't appear on the scanner. And since everyone spawns all over the map it serves no purpose but to confuse you. It's like being in a battle where you are surrounded in all maps and games; there's no direction to go fight, it's always everywhere and anywhere. In short, any attempt at strategy is meaningless.

Quote from: Led on November 25, 2015, 11:45:55 AM
There is no built in voice chat, but feel free to use the SWBFgamers teamspeak server  :)

Because EA were that lazy. They spent more time and effort in commercializing the thing than making it feel like a high-end game. Instead it feels like a game made back in 1990 but with futuristic graphics. But sadly that's not a thing so we can't use that excuse.
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

(Some of this may have been already discussed) My grievances:

-Picking up tokens after kills in the missions! Blah! ATM I can't afford another controller because of this  :XD:

-Picking spawn points

-No campaign

-Clone & CIS characters and a few maps. (I know some have contention with this)

-No dodging

And a few other things already discussed so I won't post those. Love using the T-21B rifle as the empire on the map Jakku.