Sim Racing

Started by Adonael, October 14, 2015, 09:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well I figured I'd be more social by talking about some racing.

Back in 1998 my dad bought my first "sim" racer Grand Turismo on the playstation. I was only 8 at the time and it took awhile to grasp the concept of braking into corners and the fact that slapping on a racing mod without any upgrades didn't make your car faster.

Fast forward to the current day and my taste have become quite varied.

To name a few of my favorites:

F1 Championship by psygnosis
Superbike Racing by Milestone
Nascar racing season 2003 by papyrus
GTR 2
World of Sprint cars 2002 (Not quite 100% Sim but the closest we got)

I haven't had a chance to try current gen racing because I lack a computer or new system to run these unfortunately. What I am interested in is Iracing and Asetto Coursa. Project cars looks interesting and I plan on trying it on later down the road. I am also interested in Game Stock Car extreme. Brazilian stock cars look fun to drive.

As for favorite cars?

Supra (both the early nineties square model and the late model)
Shelby GT 500
Dodge Charger (any classic version)
Camaro 67'
Mustang Mach 1
The Outlaw Sprint cars/Sprint cars in general
Stock cars (even if the name is sort of oxymoronic.)
GT 40
Lexus Eclipse Advan SC430 race car
Volkswagen Jetta

Just to name a few in no particular order. I also have a Logitech driving force pro steering wheel. I plan on upgrading everything slowly but surely.

NR2003 is like the best sim of ever. 
And simbin games (Like GTR2) are amazing.

I have a really nice computer, so I have been able to play games like GSC:E and pCARS.  Both are great fun, but pCARS is borderline sim, unfortunately.   :dry:

Unfortunately, my internet is...       horrible, and only getting slower.  iRacing may be possible because of the brilliant netcode, so I'm going to try and play it someday soon.

Driving Force Pro wheels are a very underrated wheel I feel, but I can definitely recommend the G27 to upgrade to. 

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I know, big necro post, but I feel the need to contribute to this post.

Over the past few months I've acquired a Logitech G29 wheel, the separate shifter, a PS4, and a WheelStandPro (which I heavily recommend getting if you can't afford a full-on sim setup).

I've played Project Cars, which has great graphics and a decent handling model for wheel setups out of the box I find. Assetto Corsa also has a great handling model for wheels, but I miss the lacking weather options like Project Cars has. I personally think the simcade game Driveclub has the best graphics hands down. Unfortunately though I find the handling is way too arcadey for a wheel to use.

I've tried GTR2 on PC, and while I admit it's got a good handling model, I just hate how analog it all is to setup your wheel properly as well as fine tune adjustments for the car. Plus, the graphics really show their age in the game.

I'm curious of the F1 games, but I've always heard some bad stuff about their games (and I'm not in the mood to buy the new one with all it's DLC perks).

Quote from: Gold Man on February 28, 2017, 05:08:29 AM
I'm curious of the F1 games, but I've always heard some bad stuff about their games (and I'm not in the mood to buy the new one with all it's DLC perks).
The consensus seems to me to be that they are a bit arcadey.
There is only one DLC "perk" and it's pretty pointless imo.