Spec/Bumpmap Questions.

Started by Epifire, April 09, 2015, 11:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all, been doing some polish work on some of the stuff for my Supplies Outpost map but I figured this required it's own topic.

So basically I've come to my whits end trying to get spec maps to work. I've flagged the object in XSI I've even just given solid alpha channels which should have made the thing go horribly bright, but nothing...

I get in Zero Edit and the objects the texture is applied to show the alpha channel's transparency. So I know it's active (or at least partially) but it's just not working. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong in Ande's exporter tool but I'm just checking specular and putting the spec map in the diffuse texture's alpha channel. Still not working though.

Now with bumpmaps I think I actually do have them working, but they're just like near to non-existant. Maybe I'm expecting way more grand results being than I'm used to handling normal maps (not grey scale height maps). I'm just kinda referencing the option files and existing bump maps in existing maps. It may be a combination of things, but if anyone had any advice I'd love to hear it.
photobucket limit image removed

Well, I tried to write some educated help but I'm afraid I don't have any experience with speculars. The best advice I can give is to make sure it's not something stupid like a typo in the label or something, which happened to me all the time with regular textures. The only people I can think of that might be able to answer this are Sereja, tirpider, and mabe Unit 33. Wait around for them or shoot one of them a pm if your question doesn't get solved.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Well, I may try to answer, but it isn't for XSI, so the info will be limited.

To make bumpmap, it's enough to make/copy from assets an option file.
For example, if your model named: a_model.msh, and have texture named: a_pics.tga, you have to create the a_model.msh.option file, and put inside this file, line like this:
-bump a_pics
Then copy your a_pics.tga, and rename it to a_pics_bump.tga. Repaint it with texture editor, to black&white and make other changes if needed.
Next copy from assets some bump.tga.option file, and rename it to a_pics_bump.tga.option. Inside this file, you may find such info:
-bumpmap -format r5g6b5 -bumpscale 5.0
Remember: -bumpscale line, responsible for intensivity of the bump effect - if it's will be  -bumpscale 1.0 so it will be low, if it  -bumpscale 9.0 it's high etc.
Warning: the bumpmap from the option file, may crash your game, if the model already have bump line, inside the msh itself.
Also, bumpmap, can't be mixed with specularity. They can't share the same texture.

Specularity is the thing, which needed texture with alpha channel, and can be added only by XSI or HEX editor. Since, you do not like HEX editor, I can't help you much with this.  :P
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on April 14, 2015, 12:14:28 AMSpecularity is the thing, which needed texture with alpha channel, and can be added only by XSI or HEX editor. Since, you do not like HEX editor, I can't help you much with this.  :P

So this can, or can't be done via XSI? Cause I'm using Ande's exporter which has the check box for it but it never seems to have any affect in-game (with or without the alpha channel). Within XSI I'm kinda wondering how someone else would use a specular map, I get the feeling I'm trying to run it off the wrong texture.

I'm lead to believe you're supposed to add the alpha channel to the diffuse texture, (to control spec intensity) but this never seems to work. I've tried separate render types that accept a stand alone specular texture (for greater control) but they also don't seem to work. What I'd give to sit in on a live stream of someone applying one correctly  :XD:

I think in line of bumpmaps I'm finally getting used to the old fashion grey scale system, I'm just used to seeing a far greater difference in runtime (since I'm used to using normal maps). Both Specular and Lightmaps are still on my hit list though. Lightmaps would just give me a whole different range of lighting control for interiors.

Ande, made his ZETools, according SWBF2 render system, so for SWBF1, his hierarchy of render types, is useless. To make ZETools export needed types, you have to know all of correct render code numbers for SWBF1.

For specularity, correct number is 04.

Let's see how it works... I just opened XSI, created a model, added texture with alpha channel. Now clicked on ZETools>.MSH Tools>Manage Materials...>(click on needed material)>ZEify>Edit>Render Type and finaly click number 4. That's it - model with specularity is ready for export. I never used such way, so can't say is it realy works or not, but most likely it works. :shrug:
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on April 14, 2015, 01:22:43 PM
Ande, made his ZETools, according SWBF2 render system, so for SWBF1, his hierarchy of render types, is useless. To make ZETools export needed types, you have to know all of correct render code numbers for SWBF1.

For specularity, correct number is 04.

Let's see how it works... I just opened XSI, created a model, added texture with alpha channel. Now clicked on ZETools>.MSH Tools>Manage Materials...>(click on needed material)>ZEify>Edit>Render Type and finaly click number 4. That's it - model with specularity is ready for export. I never used such way, so can't say is it realy works or not, but most likely it works. :shrug:

Well that's what I mean, I've used that render type in the material edit but it still didn't work. 04 and a couple other ones, even with completely white alpha just to throttle the settings to see if I was just using to low of a gradient. Still nothing though. I could try again (I think I may have had another setting checked somewhere) but I swear I tried it with just running 04 like you did.

Is it possible somehow to convert some BF2 render types for BF1?I remember someone telling me before time that this was possible but he was too lazy to do it.Someone else know how?

make sure you are editing the right material. Sometimes When I was adding specular The material I thought was right didn't work so I changed all the materials and then specular showed up.

Quote from: Ginev on May 08, 2015, 12:29:25 PM
Is it possible somehow to convert some BF2 render types for BF1?I remember someone telling me before time that this was possible but he was too lazy to do it.Someone else know how?

Pretty sure that would involve having to edit some kind of code in the game (as shaders like these would likely be compiled results into the engine) but if someone actually knew how that would be pretty awesome.

Quote from: MileHighGuy on May 09, 2015, 09:59:11 PM
make sure you are editing the right material. Sometimes When I was adding specular The material I thought was right didn't work so I changed all the materials and then specular showed up.

I combine all my clusters into one core material for each texture (or identical materials with special render options) keeps it simple and organized. If I'm editing the wrong one than the game must otherwise be needing an additional material were that the case. Part of me wonders if the Ande addon is compatible for the BF1 specular flag. It doesn't give me any errors but I almost wonder if any global map lighting options don't have anything to do with it.

Epifire if you know some coding why dont you try editing some of the existing shaders or replace BF2 shader with BF1?I replace one bf2 shader with bf1.They are all in xml format.With the help of common.lvl tool i munge them all in .shader format and add them in common.lvl but didnt worked...I think the only one who know how to di it is SleepKiller but he said that there is no point of doing it for so small community.Even after DICE battlefront this game still will be played.If someone know please to try   :tu: