Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Started by Snake, April 20, 2012, 05:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 20, 2012, 05:42:12 PM Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:11:02 PM by Unit 33
This is a log of most of the questions asked on SWBFGamers.

Format:

The Question:
The Person(s) who asked:
The Answer:
The Person(s) who answered:
Notes:

-Modding-

-General Modding-
---
The Question: I downloaded the Unsupported Mod Tools from Filefront .com to do modding with, but I have no idea what to do.
The Person(s) who asked: El Chupacabra
The Answer: [spoiler]*points and jeers*

First, go here and install the BFBuilderProWIP030605.zip, ZeroeditorUpdate122904.zip, ParticleEditorUpdate.zip, and Boundaries_fix.zip.

Next, go into that nice new BFBuilderPro that you just got, and create a new map. name it whatever you want, and then click go. It will seem to freeze for a little while, but it is still going. Eventually it will say done. Now you have an option

1) create a new map. Just click on edit *Whatever the short name is*

2) Create a new mod. Go to sides then Import Retail Side. pick the side to import and it will be in Data*shortname*/Sides and you can start editing. Look in the Documentation folder for some info

After either, just click on Munge *shortname* and it will create a new map in the BFBuilder AddOn folder. For maps, you have the map folder for SWBF's AddOn right there. For mods, it is in the map folder/Data/_lvl_pc/Side. Those files are the files for the mod.

Modding is a very complex subject and there is no guide that tells it all. My recommendation is to go explore the Assets folder and look around at the LUA samples to get an understanding of how those work, look at Sides to learn ODF and REQ. Ignore the MSH files. You can't do anything with them without XSI. look at Shipped Add On to see the FULL source of tat3. It contains the world data as well as the Gammorrean side. Great place to get to know the inner workings of a full new side.

One other thing I did that I am very happy to have done is copy Zeroeditor.exe and config.ini from a mod folder (the one I had you create), and put it in the Shipped Worlds folder. That lets you play around with how a finished map should look like in ZE. Also add one to DataTAT3 in the Shipped Add On since Jabba isn't in the shipped worlds.[/spoiler]
The Person(s) who answered: Radical Pi
Notes: none
---
The Question: Is fall damage calculated from the height from which the player falls or is it calculated from the speed at which the player is falling?
The Person(s) who asked: Satellite
The Answer:  I believe it is height, but there is a damage multiplier defined in the unit ODF. This is set to 0 on all jet units, which is why they can't get hurt from falling.

---
The Question: Is it possible to slow the rate at which a person falls?
The Answer: Jetpacks can do this. JK: The exact gravity counteract is a setting (gravity for some reason is 20.0???). The Jetjump property is how much you get when the jet is started. JetPush is the constant while the jet is running. At a 20 Jetpush, you would move as if in space. Above that, you go up all the time. Below that, it's a slowed fall
Notes:none
---
The Question:Is it possible to make a moving command building?
The Answer: Yes, like an AT-AT? You can, but you have to drive it, or one of the AI does. I don't believe SWBF1 has automatic piloting.
The Person(s) who answered: JediKiller
---
The Question: Is Bullet a ClassLabel in SWBF1?
The Person(s) who asked: Snake
The Answer: Yes
The Person(s) who answered: SleepKiller
Notes: Not tested
---
The Question: How do I change the camera on a vehicle?
The Answer: The first number is x horizontal, y vertical, z backward-forward
The Person(s) who answered: Led, Bamdur
Notes: http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/downloads/BF1/cis_hover_aat_odf_commented.txt
---
The Question: How do I make lightsabers deflect shots?
The Person(s) who asked: jdee/barc
The Answer: add "CanDeflect = 1" to the lightsaber ODF file.
---
The Question: How do I make custom msh. tga. and odf. files?
The Answer: You must have a modeling program like Softimage or 3DSMax to make custom .msh files. .tga files can be made with photoshop.odf files can be made by simply making a new text document and changing the ending to odf.
The Person(s) who answered: Snake & JediKiller
Notes: You CANNOT change the ending of anything else like with .odf files.
--
-Errors-
---
The Question: How do I fix the ZeroEditor Runtime Error?
The Person(s) who asked: Jamman
The Answer: Try this http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=20
The Person(s) who answered: HC
Notes: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=1293.0
---
The Question: How do I fix the ZeroEditor Runtime Error?
The Person(s) who asked: MileHighGuy
The Answer: You have to have a different video card besides the NVIDIA ones which don't work with ZE
The Person(s) who answered:
---
The Question: [spoiler]So about 8 months ago (?...) I asked the same question here, but it was never resolved. So I'd figure I'd ask it again. Everyone time I run BFBuilder, I can't munge. This is the error I get

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7371/43144345.png

Now it says it can't locate the munge file...but...I don't have it..

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2428/67087217.png

I just made a new world, created a terrain for it, and tried mungeing. I had this same problem on vista, but now I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate edition. My BFBuilder's saved under C:\BFBuilder

What should/do I do to fix the problem?

To-Be Modder in need of help,

Quikletteer![/spoiler]
The Person(s) who asked: Quikshadow
The Answer: Type @set path=C:/windows/system32 then munge
The Person(s) who answered: Bamdur
---

-General Texturing-
---
The Question: How do I make multiple textures with one model?
The Answer: Add OverrideTexture lines that have your tga file like OverrideTexture: = "potatoe" above the CAMERASECTION in your units odf file.
The Person(s) who answered: Cull
---
The Question: Why won't some textures work in-game?
The Answer: Some .tga files are not saved right. Go in your paint program and resave them or use a different texture.
The Person(s) who answered: ggctuk, ag, Phobos Developer
Notes: Make sure RLE compression is off!
---
The Question: Is it possible to put .gif images on objects?
The Answer: You can only use textures that are .tga or .psd, in XSI it is possible to export scrolling textures or animated textures
---
-SWBF2 to SWBF1-
---
The Question: How do I get SWBF2 animations into SWBF2?
The Answer: Just copy and paste them from the SWBF2 mod tools. combos don't work only animations and files from the munged folder
The Person(s) who answered: Snake
---
The Question: How do you convert stuff from SWBF2 to SWBF1?
The Answer: You have to take everything out of the odf file that you have never seen. Like ClassParent and ClothODF and ComboAnimation. Or just take the .msh files and put them in, for example, a trooper file.
The Person(s) who answered: AaTcFett
Notes: Instead of (Example) imp_inf_trooper.msh put the msh file from the swbf2 unit.
---

-Mapping-

-General Mapping-
---
The Question: How do I make a map?
The Person(s) who asked: Seth
The Answer: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=977.0
The Person(s) who answered: AG and Radical Pi
Notes: Read all the comments
--
The Question: How do I access ZeroEditor without SWBF installed?
The Person(s) who asked: Pistachio
The Answer: Yes, download this: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=126.0
The Person(s) who answered: AG
---
The Question: I have a map with a normal cp and a destructable cp only. Whenever i start my map I can play it, but it goes immeadiatley to victory timer. I remember somone here having a similar problem and they managed to get it to work, so does anyone have a fix?
The Person(s) who asked: MileHighGuy
The Answer: I believe you need to have at least two normal CPs. You can make one uncapturable or set it outside the map if you prefer, but you need at least two.
---
The Question: How do you add vehicles?
The Person(s) who asked: Breakdown
The Answer: [spoiler]I'm not sure of the exact instructions but the most likely thing that you're doing wrong is adding the .odf of the vehicle itself instead of a com_item_vehicle_spawn.odf

I believe these are the instructions on how to do it:

1. HAVE THE VEHICLE INCLUDED IN THE REQ FILES (duh)
2. Create a com_item_vehicle_spawn object (located in Data****/Common/ODF with **** as the map name)
3. Position and orient the spawn object (It will be an arrow and the arrow should point the direction you want the vehicle facing)
4. Variables: Requires a list of it's own
ControlZone: CP the spawn point is associated with (used by the class selectors)
SpawnTime: Time after the destruction of the object spawned that it creates a new one
Class***ATK: What vehicle is to be spawned when the team *** has the CP (most likely can't be used when it is CISATK and there is a RepDEF set as well)(must be the name of the vehicle as it appears in the REQ files)
Class***DEF: What vehicle is to be spawned when team *** DOESN'T have the CP (probably same rules as the ATK counterpart)
Anything else: I'm not sure of the meaning
5. Make sure the vehicle is listed in the SetMemoryPoolSize commands in the LUA scripts ("EntityHover" for a hovering ship including the troop ships on Geonosis, "EntityFlyer" for things like X-Wings, AddWalkerType functions for vehicles with legs, look at the Mission LUA samples under Assets for the rest of the MemoryPool commands)

On the spawn point class variables, when the CP it is associated with falls under the control of the other team any vehicles that have not been activated (entered) will self-destruct and the ones for the new team will spawn if they are set[/spoiler]
---
The Question: Why do the CP's disappear sometimes in-game?
The Answer: When the CP's don't show up you probably set them up wrong. Make sure they are all connected and named right. I also think vehicle's can do this to if they aren't set up right. If this doesnt help you must start your map over.
Notes: Don't add CP's too fast. Take your time and make sure you do it right.
---
The Question: How do I move spawn paths?
The Answer: You can right click them to get them all or left click one to select only that one. Hold SHIFT to move them up and down or just drag them to move them side to side.
The Person(s) who answered: Breakdown
---
The Question: How do I get animated objects in my map?
The Answer: Make sure you add all the Animation, MSH, ODF, and REQ Files that go with it and it will work.
The Person(s) who answered: Breakdown
Notes: You have to copy these from the ShippedWorlds folder like Tatooine.
---
The Question: How do I put my custom sides in my custom map?
The Answer: put dc: on the side that you want, for example: ReadDataFile("dc:SIDE\\rep.lvl",
The Person(s) who answered: Jango
Notes: add the dc: to tell the game that it's your mod!
---
The Question: How do I change the sky?
The Answer: Go to your maps sky file (ModID.sky) and go down to DomeInfo Here you can change the sky texture, the dome model, background models, and the far detail texture.
Notes: your sky file is in BFBuilder>ModIdData>Worlds>World1
---
The Question: How do I change the objects flying in the sky?
The Answer: In your sky file (BFBuilder>ModIdData>Worlds>World1>ModID.sky) at the very bottom are lines that say //Big rep flyer - //Rep fighters - //CIS fighters - //CIS rockets. Since the base of every map is geonosis it has this in your sky file automatically. If you want to change the models of the flyers you need to get the .msh files of the objects you want and replace the current Geometry names (Ex: rep_fly_assault_DOME) with your .msh file(s).
Notes: If you just want them gone put // before all the lines.
---
The Question: How do I remove the ground from my map?
The Person(s) who asked: Bamdur
The Answer: Change the TerrainEnable(1) to TerrainEnable(0) in the sky file.
---
The Question: What do I do when I don't have a 3rd mouse button in ZeroEditor?
The Person(s) who asked: Zapawaf
The Answer: Go to C:\BFBuilder\DataTEMPLATE\Editor\Data\Config\input and change the mouse3 button to something else on your keyboard.
The Person(s) who answered: Psych0fred
Notes: http://secretsociety.com/forum/display_message.asp?mid=1389
---

-General .ODF's-
---
The Question: How do I make buildings a cp?
The Person(s) who asked: jdee/barc
The Answer: Change the building odf to the same format as a simple building (With only its .msh name) and put a normal cp under the building with spawn points outside the building.
Notes: To get a building to BE a cp and be destructable will take testing.
---

-ZeroEditor Crashes-

-General Map Crashes-

-.Lua-
---
The Question: How do I get birds in my map?
The Answer: add     SetNumBirdTypes(1);           to your .lua
                                SetBirdType(0,1.0,"bird");
                                SetBirdFlockMinHeight(-28.0);
The Person(s) who answered: Jango
Notes: Make sure you also have the .tga files in your world1 folder. Make sure you also look at like the Endor req file and add the bird stuff to your req.
---
The Question: How do I stop the CP bleed?
The Answer: add more hidden cp's to balance it out.
The Person(s) who answered: gogo12, Phobos Developer
Notes: To actually remove the CP bleed, just go in your LUA and take out AddBleedThreshold.
---
The Question: How do I change my map name AFTER I have named it?
The Answer: Go in BFBuilder Pro and click Edit then click addme LUA, you will see (Example) local newEntry = { mapluafile = "MOD1", showstr = "MOD MAP 1", side_c = 1, side_a = 1, dnldable = 1, } The MOD MAP 1 is the in-game name of your map. Just type a new name there.
---
The Question: How can I play as a Hero but make it so no ai can play as the hero?
The Person(s) who asked: Lord Man
The Answer: if you change the number in the AddUnitClass parameters to 0 the player can still spawn as that class but no bots ever will.
The Person(s) who answered: Saberhagen
---
The Question: How do I make it so only 1 unit can spawn?
The Answer: Find these lines in your LUA
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_trooper",11) -- Change it's value to 1
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_arc_trooper",3) -- Remove this line
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_pilot",4) -- Remove this line
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_sharpshooter",4) -- Remove this line
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_jet_trooper",3) -- Remove this line
Then find this line in the lua(Presuming the republic is the attacker)
SetUnitCount(ATT, 25) -- Change to 1
Or if I misunderstood you do this with the same lines
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_trooper",11) -- Change it's value to 25
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_arc_trooper",3) -- Remove this line
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_pilot",4) -- Remove this line
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_sharpshooter",4) -- Remove this line
AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_jet_trooper",3) -- Remove this line
This is just what I think would work and it should.
The Person(s) who answered: SleepKiller
---
-Locolization-

-Modeling-
---
The Question: Is it possible make an object that moves other than through an animation?
The Answer: Animations make the image of the building move, but it cannot change it's coordinates on the map. So, there is no real way to move it.
---
The Question: How do I convert a model to .MSH?
The Person(s) who asked: No Duh and Snake
The Answer: Get it to VRML format if you can and download SWBF MSH Viewer. Drag the model to the box and click File > Save as... > nameofmodel.msh
The Person(s) who answered: my later experience and Rogue Knight.
---
-Other-
---
The Question: How do I go back from FreeCam to ChaseCamera in singleplayer?
The Answer: While in FreeCam mod press the M button and the game will resume. Then press esc and click ChaseCamera.
---
-Hex Editing-
---
The Question: How do I make skirts appear on BF2 units in Battlefront I
The Person(s) who asked: ggctuk
The Answer: Hex Edit or Model them on
---
The Question: Where can I download a Hex Editing program?
The Person(s) who asked: ModTester
The Answer: http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/
The Person(s) who answered: ModTester
---
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder